Thread: Hello from Cumbria

Post Hello from Cumbria

Hi Everyone,

Unlike a lot on here, I don't come from a role playing background (apart from dabbling in D&D back in the 1980s (showing my age here...)

I am however an avid reader of fantasy novels, and have always had a huge fascination for the art of fantasy mapmaking.

So here we are.

I am completely new at electronic mapping, in the past I have used paper and pen (sorry, I'm a bit old fashioned like that), however have just downloaded GIMP and am in the process of teaching myself how to use it. It may be a rather long process.

My current project is to make a fantasy map of the English Lake district in a (more or less) Lord of the Rings style, with a load more colour. We will see how it turns out...

Tonquani

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey Tonquani, hello from another well-seasoned individual.

We always like hand-drawn stuff here, so don't be afraid to share. Also, if you need some help learning GIMP (as it applies to fantasy/scifi mapmaking, anyway), there are a couple of good tutorials in the Tutorials subforum. And feel free to ask away if you have questions. Starting a work-in-progress thread is a good way to start out, as we can offer advice at every stage.