Thread: Free-Licensed Old World Maps (for commercial use)?

Default Free-Licensed Old World Maps (for commercial use)?

Hey guys! It's been awhile.

Long story short - I've been commissioned for a fantasy cartography project! I'm very excited about it and can't wait to show off the finished work here. However, this isn't what this post is about (though I'll be more than happy to talk about it later in the thread).

The publisher I've been commissioned by has another project going on that needs an authentic old-world map that is non-copyrighted (or no longer copyrighted), royalty-free, and/or licensed freely for commercial use.

Here's the specific details I've been given:

- It is for a small art project that would be for sale, so it cant be anything trademarked.
    - Legitimate old world maps would be best, but the need to have the modern world on it.
    - Nothing Pre-Columbian, and the new world and Japan should be on there.
    - Something 1800's or 1900's into the early 20th century might be best.

This project came up in casual conversation and I offered to do the leg work. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything (though it is past midnight and I'm exhausted, so I may have missed it if the answer has been posted before - please forgive my redundancy if this happens to be the case).

Any help in the right direction would be indescribably appreciated.

icct20worldcup2016india.com

I have no idea.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

An internet search for "public domain world map 1800" should get you many hits. The problem is that while all of those old maps are in the public domain (the latest round of Mickey Mouse Protection legislation is only up to author's death date + 95 years, I think), the act of making the scans and then doing various things to the scans before distribution may make them subject to the copyright of the processing agent. It's best to make sure that the resource is clearly marked public domain or commercial use allowed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_map may be a useful starting point depending on what style you're looking for.