Thread: Oct/Nov 2020 Lite Challenge: Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Default Oct/Nov 2020 Lite Challenge: Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest

So it has been a while since I have partaken in one of these challenges but I would like to get into a habit of it while I some extra free time. After wracking my brain for a fairy tale that I thought would be interesting to map I have come up with Robin Hood. Relying on the small wikipedia entry for him, I have a plan to submit! Accuracy with the tales is not guaranteed but it will hopefully put forward one image of where the story unfolded.

### Latest WIP ###
    draft 1.jpg

Additionally, it is a really bad scan but it at least picked up the pencil. I swear all that blue stuff is actually white, even if it most certainly looks blue

Welcome to the Challenge Arimel! Robin Hood certainly gives you lots of ideas & options.

Here is a quick update! I got rid of the blue (now it is all orange! Yippee!). It is just a couple of the side things (target, bow and title).

draft 2.jpg

Another update with a lot of the inking filled in. This is really progressing quickly for me, though I guess all of the calligraphy does cover about 1/4 of the page... (no wonder that pencil is what took me the longest to draw).

124368251_662156324483675_8485149905544519880_n.png

Next up is filling the letters with black ink and throwing some colored pencil into the mix.

Wow, that is a wonderful layout with the little hamlets and landmarks. Is it somewhat historical? Beautiful work, looking forward to see the next steps!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Sherwood Forest is coming to life!

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Wow, that is a wonderful layout with the little hamlets and landmarks. Is it somewhat historical? Beautiful work, looking forward to see the next steps!
    Well, the historical evidence seems kind of sparse, though I did not look all that hard to be honest. I remember the tale from when I was younger and just googled it and took what places were listed on wikipedia. Some of them fit together pretty well and so I took them for the map. The very general locations of Nottingham, Mansfield, Edwinstow, and the river Trent are 'correctly' placed but again, it is only vaguely accurate. Don't go navigating with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Sherwood Forest is coming to life!
    Thanks!

Well, here is the next update! The inking is done and the next step is the colored pencil. I do not know if I will use this or the colored one as the final product or not. The color does not come up very well on my scanner so we shall see how that works out.

### Latest WIP ###
    Black and White Robin Hood.jpg

This is really well done!

Okay! The color version is complete.

### Latest WIP ###
    Color Robin Hood.jpg

Both the B&W and colored versions are very good. Personally I usually prefer color, but go with whatever you like best.