Thread: Oct / Nov 2015 Lite Challenge: River City

Default Oct / Nov 2015 Lite Challenge: River City

A last minute entry! And only my second here, though I am nowhere as pleased with the result this time.

The concept was to create a simple, bold map of an industrial city with a complex waterway network. Kind of a cross between London and Venice. I also wanted to do a linocut, and I haven't done many of those! Additionally I creased up some paper and dipped it in tea-leaves to get more texture. I scanned the print and the paper and combined the two in Photoshop.

River-City-WIP-1.jpgRiver-City-WIP-2.jpg

I started this late last night and finished it today. I even had to take a trip to PC World in the pouring rain to get a new scanner!

It would have been nice to make this more detailed, with sharper lines. It also occurred to me that I could have scanned in the lino (before putting ink all over it) to get a kind of terrain-map. If I had time, I might have redone this with that in mind. I definitely liked the look of the lino more than the end result. Also with more time I would have researched river cities a bit more. While I was making this I looked at Paris and saw a lot of interesting features I wish I had included. (I was also watching the Paris news! )

Anyway, this is my final entry. It doesn't deserve to win, but I think I should get some points for the concept.

### Latest WIP ###

River-City.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Foomandoonian; 11-14-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Typos

Very interesting concept.

I would love to see what you could do with more time. I think it could be amazing.

-IG

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Definitely points for concept! 30,000 at least. I'm a big fan of printmaking, although it's been more than one decade since I've done any...

The lino makes a pretty cool map on its own!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

As cool as this concept is, since you've previously won a Golden Compass you're not eligible to compete in the Lite Challenges any longer, Foomandoonian.

You deserve much love and rep for the idea though. Innovative and unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    As cool as this concept is, since you've previously won a Golden Compass you're not eligible to compete in the Lite Challenges any longer, Foomandoonian.
    Oh, I had no clue! That seems a bit odd -- I just imagined that the lite challenges were for people with less time to devote -- but I don't mind in any case. It was just nice to get something done.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments on the concept.