Gorgeous work J, love the vivid colors and contours. Also, those ships are fantastic. Always a pleasure to see another one of your maps.
EDIT: looks like my wand of repping is tapped ATM.
Cheers,
-Arsheesh
Last month I was contacted to work on a map of the UK for a historic computer game called Wars Across the World, from Argonauts Interactive.
They wanted a map done in the style of my Anthropos Iohanan map which was quite a task for a real world location.
It was an interesting map to work on. They had some revision requests that I would not personally have done but such is the way of freelancing.
I found out part way in that Sapiento was working on a different version of the same map at the same time as me. So that was cool.
I've had the chance lately to do a number of commissions for real world locations. It's definitely a very different challenge to map real locations with existing specific land features.
A great learning experience. Argonauts Interactive is running a kickstarter for Wars Across the World so go check that out if you're interested. Cheers, J.
Britannia game board by sirinkman.jpg
Artstation - | - Buy Me a Kofi
Gorgeous work J, love the vivid colors and contours. Also, those ships are fantastic. Always a pleasure to see another one of your maps.
EDIT: looks like my wand of repping is tapped ATM.
Cheers,
-Arsheesh
Thanks Arsheesh. No worries on rep. I know how that is.
Here's a full res of the ships. That was an extra they asked for, not in the original request.
Britannia ship [crop].jpg
Excellent map, John!
Very cool J. Not a fan of the yellow labels above the larger labels, but other than that great work!
Cheers,
Tainotim
Not my favourite style of yours but this is nicely done. Great job J. !
This is very pretty and I love the shading on the land. Have to echo Tainotim that I'm quite as keen on the yellow labels, but they are clear and readable, so perhaps that was more important from the game maker's point of view. The boats are awesome!
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Beautiful map, J.! Like the feeling of depth on the sea opposed to the soft coasts you included.
Maybe I can rep you this time
Visit me on ArtStation.
I like the yellow labels - from a gaming standpoint, they're necessary for readability, but I also think they look good with this style of map, too.
And beautiful work overall! (Lest I forget to tell you. )
Thanks Sapiento. There were a lot of constraints with this comm but I was happy with the result.
Thanks T. Yeah, it was tough to find a color they approved of. I was working with existing text layers they provided, though I did change the country labels.
I am providing an alternate after the comments.
Thanks Max. And that's understandable. I was surprised that they requested that style. I wouldn't have chosen it myself either, as it is not my best style but I did the best I could within the style.
I thought about you when I was working on this - thinking 'ChickPea is going to have issues with Scotland.' I was working within a preset outline of the land masses.
I would have redrawn them accurately had it been an option, but it wasn't. What can you do. Thanks ChickPea.
Thanks Steffen. Rep if you can.
Thanks Diamond. The labels I received were stark black. I tried white and various color combinations. They liked this one.
I'm sure readability was paramount for them. I would have liked something a bit more subtle but it wouldn't have been as readable though.
Here's my alternate version. I was okay with the yellow/gold labels but subtle text is more my preference.
Britannia [alternate1] by sirinkman.jpg