Thread: Excited to be here!

Default Excited to be here!

Hi everyone!

I'm an author, composer, tech fiend, and lover of all things cartography. I've published a space-fantasy trilogy already and am deep in the worldbuilding for a new dark fantasy, which has led me here in my research on developing a map for the world it's set in. In the week or so I've been lurking, I've been blown away by what the community has come up with. The level of detail, immersion, and passion, is nothing short of astounding. I'm really looking forward to being involved and sharing what I come up with as time goes by.

I'm fairly proficient in Photoshop, and I've noticed a good portion of the community here works on their maps in Photoshop, but I'm thinking of giving ProFantasy's Campaign Cartographer 3+ a go. I'm really interested in its tools and range of available styles and such. We'll see!

All my best!

Hi noachian, and welcome to the Guild. I think Photoshop & Gimp are probably the most used software around here, but there's a dedicated contingent of CC3+ users too. Check out Mouse and Tonnichiwa's work for inspiration. I understand CC3+ has a fairly steep learning curve, but if you need help with something, start a thread and ask your question, as I'm someone will be able to help you.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work. We've got quite a number of authors here at the Guild, and it's always fun to see their world take shape (especially as I'm a big fan of dark fantasy!!)

EDIT: I had included links in my comments to some of Mouse & Tonnichiwa's work, but the search results don't seem to show for others, so I've removed them. You can check out their profiles instead.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 03-04-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Search results don't seem to show for other users
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Hi Noachian

I'm a landscape painter, an unpublished fantasy writer, and a CC3+ mapper, and more recently I've become more of a multi-media cartographer. I've used Corel software for many years for more general digital art, and make use of it nowadays to make extra symbols to add to my personal collection for CC3+. Fractal Terrains and Wilbur are very useful for generating random unique worlds and realistic looking eroded relief maps. For the decorative side of things I also dabble with GIMP, Krita, Inkscape, Genetica for added CC3 textures (apparently Genetica will eventually become abandonware!), and anything that says it can do a particular job I need doing at the time... providing it I don't crash-land it too often.

Looking forward to seeing your first uploaded map
    Last edited by Mouse; 03-04-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your work. Avid reader here so toss me your pen name