Thread: North Ourea: my project

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Jeffmaster223's Avatar

Map North Ourea: my project

Hey guys, i've been working on this world for a very long time. After countless iterations I think I, at last, have a satisfying map.
    It's not done, and im finishing the project slowly but surely.
    Just a little note,
    - The dark pencil refers to high levels of relief (not necessarily mountains)
    - light pencil refers to low levels of relief (not necessarily hills)
    - Nothing means that its mostly flat or slopes too gently.
    Any thoughts, criticism, advice, or comments are welcomed!
    North Ourea.jpeg.jpg
    When I complete the continent, I will go back and color it either by hand or with paint.net. I'm not familiar with GIMP (and as a college student, lack the money for PS ) so in the meantime I'll fiddle with paint.net. If there are any great tutorials on how to use GIMP (I found it very confusing), please let me know!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's a very cool layout! Is that a huge volcanic crater, with lesser ones surrounding it? Love the river systems - very convincing. The only criticism I have for you is that the landforms would be easier to distinguish with color. But since you've already said you're planning to add color, I'm sure it will shake out in the end.

Awesome map, welcome to the Guild!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's a very cool layout! Is that a huge volcanic crater, with lesser ones surrounding it? Love the river systems - very convincing. The only criticism I have for you is that the landforms would be easier to distinguish with color. But since you've already said you're planning to add color, I'm sure it will shake out in the end.

Awesome map, welcome to the Guild!
    Thank you!
    The enormous basin is actually a result of plate tectonics. The basin rests on its own continental "Antorian" plate, spinning counterclockwise as other plates grind up against it.
    As for the rivers, I really appreciate that especially because it took FOREVER to work out how the rivers would flow. All in all though, they were still fun to draw, and they'll continue to be fun as I complete the continent
    I feel very much at home here.

Good idea on the forest representation, it looks really believable. How many sheets of paper are they? That looks gigantic.

Wow! That is very expansive. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by BlindBlake View Post
    Good idea on the forest representation, it looks really believable. How many sheets of paper are they? That looks gigantic.
    Thank you!
    The conglomerate here is 7 pieces of 7 by 10 inch paper, but I have 4 tiles in the works so soon it will be 11.

Update:

Almost finished the northern portion of the continent. How do you guys like the mountains? I'm iffy on them.

North Ourea Jpg.jpg