Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September 2016 Challenge: The Lighthouse of Parcheyk

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Wip September 2016 Challenge: The Lighthouse of Parcheyk

Okay, first thing's first, I'm not 100% sure I'm going to finish on time for this challenge, in fact I doubt it, as I'm away over the next two weeks...
    ...buuuut I really wanted to have a go, so thought I may as well try with everyone else and I could sneak in something in the last couple of days.

So here is my palette.
    Palette.jpg

And here is my progress so far. (Hopefully not "Latest and only WIP" )
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Lighthouse of Parcheyk.jpg

Not much of a map really at the moment, other than the little thing in the corner. Just a crudish drawing with a splash of the colours. I'm hoping not to have to use the black and white mix, though if I texture it, I'm probably going to have to. I'm also going to try and do it without mixing colours per se. The only "cheat" I'm definitely planning on is opacity particularly for the shadowing.

Also, that title with the light from the lighthouse looks a bit tacky at the mo, so that will obviously be tweaked. And the palette won't be in the final piece.
    Last edited by Greg; 09-12-2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Scraper not scraping the right image

That's a nice start GLS. I agree, the "map part" could be a bit larger in relation to the lighthouse itself, but i like it nonetheless. The desription on the history of the place is a nice addition and gives the feel of a touristic information panel.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    That's a nice start GLS. I agree, the "map part" could be a bit larger in relation to the lighthouse itself, but i like it nonetheless. The desription on the history of the place is a nice addition and gives the feel of a touristic information panel.
    Thanks Abu! That's kind of what I was going for with it. As for the "map part", it shouldn't just be the little bit at the bottom, I'm hoping to do a cross-section across the lighthouse, with an annotated interior kind of map thingy there. At least that's the plan...

That's a pretty wide color palette, thick you've handled it really well. Kind of reminds me of the "SEE AMERICA POSTERS" http://www.treehugger.com/slideshows...k-style-1930s/

Nice start. I think a bit of texture would really help this out a lot. Also, unless you're going to make the main illustration more map-like, I agree that the map should be a bit bigger and more detailed.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Nice start, and that's a really nice palette. Looking forward to seeing this develop.
    I agree with the others about the map part.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

This is a nice start, and I love your illustrations, both the lighthouse and the cliffs, and you've made a good use of the colours available to you. Interested to see how you develop the map part.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is a nice start, and I love your illustrations, both the lighthouse and the cliffs, and you've made a good use of the colours available to you. Interested to see how you develop the map part.
    Thanks, ChickPea! Hopefully, they'll both look more fleshed out if I have time. As for the map part, it won't be huge, just annotations, but it will definitely still be a map of sorts, have no worries about that!

This is of course, if I get it finished on time, since I'm leaving tomorrow and won't be back until the 28th, so no mapping time then. We'll see what the last couple of days can bring together.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Nice start, and that's a really nice palette. Looking forward to seeing this develop.
    I agree with the others about the map part.
    Thank you, Josiah. It took me years of expert training to develop this unique palette, then I realised someone else made it too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    Nice start. I think a bit of texture would really help this out a lot. Also, unless you're going to make the main illustration more map-like, I agree that the map should be a bit bigger and more detailed.
    Thanks, THW. I've put more thought into it and think I will texture it before the end. I really like fol2dol's entry in the Lite Challenge (https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...227#post313227) this month and even if it's not really a map, it was definitely one of the influences behind a more illustration-based piece. Nonetheless, it will be more mappy than that one. The little map will probably stay little, but the main one will be styled as more of a cross-section across the lighthouse.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    That's a pretty wide color palette, thick you've handled it really well. Kind of reminds me of the "SEE AMERICA POSTERS" http://www.treehugger.com/slideshows...k-style-1930s/
    Thanks snodsy. I don't think I'm come across those before and even if the end style isn't going to be quite the same, that's a nice inspiration to work from still.

*EDIT* Also, I meant to add this to fill the space for the next two weeks:

### Latest WIP ###
    Lighthouse of Parcheyk2.jpg
    Last edited by Greg; 09-13-2016 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added WIP

I really love the 'tarnished gold' feel you've managed to achieve with this map. Its beginning to look like its been done with gold leaf incorporated into a glaze painting, creating a lovely mellow... 'olde worlde' glow

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I really love the 'tarnished gold' feel you've managed to achieve with this map. Its beginning to look like its been done with gold leaf incorporated into a glaze painting, creating a lovely mellow... 'olde worlde' glow
    Thanks Mouse! As I went, I kinda hoped it would turn out something like that - though thanks probably mainly to the palette I chose rather than me ...but hopefully I can continue with that look when I next get to work on it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast