Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atlas / encyclopedia idea!

Discuss Atlas / encyclopedia idea!

Hey!
    I would like to /cheer for all the winners of the Atlas awards firstly! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful pieces

What I had in mind for a while now, is to publish an atlas / encyclopedia of fantasy cartography.
    There are some cartography based books on the market (some really good ones- Jared Blando ), but none made as an atlas / encyclopedia. My idea is to gather who is interested in the project, the more experienced and best of CG (if they will be interested of course), to publish throughout variouos sections different maps, commentaries, interviews and so on.

As I own a company in my country (which is a big wholesaler) and I do have solution for publishing, print offices willing to jump in with their deals, marketing solutions and a contact who is specialized in Kickstarter projects (due to the idea is that the project would be pushed through Kickstarter), also I intend to finance the project, plans of cost for productions, etc.
    I will give more info and what are the benefits of artists who are wants to be part of the project ( besides being in the book itself ), and also have in mind to involve CG as community, to be part of it, as well to benefit from the project, as if CG isn’t here my love for the maps wouldn’t be so BIG

Hope the idea will find ears who finds it interesting, waiting for your critique or approval

Cheers!

Sounds like an interesting idea!
    What sort of atlas do you have in mind? One that in which all the maps relate to the same world, or just an assortment of already made maps which you get permission to use?
    Would you be planning to commission the maps?
    I'm just wondering what you had in mind.

I'm very curious to see if others are interested and how the plan unfolds.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Vision of the concept is to make the atlas/ encyclopedia as an artbook that would include various artworks of our fellow cartographers. Bigger section of the book would be made of presenting artists itself, their artwork, interviews, their vision of the industry, commentaries of the maps, their contacts (how to reach them), etc.
    The artwork that would be used would be based on given permission to use, due to option of commisioning all the maps would be a huge investment. If the project would be successfull, the profit of it would be shared among the artists involved by agreed percentages of the profit and the predicted amount would be invested into "our cradle" Cartographers guild to make it shine even more.

I will wait for more opinions and for more feedback and if it turns out positively I would make a group in which I would post calculation of desired profit, costs of the whole process and desired goals, benefits for the participants so there is a clearer view of the whole project. Main goal is to make an impression and to promote artists, community on a larger scale.

I would certainly be interested in this project and I'm also curious to see how it develops.

Beautiful! Looking forward for other guildies to express opinion!

I love the idea and have thought of something similar several times.
    I am definitely interested and will get back to you via PM.

I think, if this is done right, it would be an incredible benefit.
    Hopefully we will get a good number of people onboard.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 03-21-2017 at 12:58 PM.

It sounds like an interesting project, and as the mighty John said, it has already been an idea "in the air"...
    I would be interested, if times and potential constraints are not making it too hard.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Like others have said, similar things have been suggested in the past but it would be great to see an idea like this find the light of day. If indeed it does go ahead, I would love to be a part of it.

Hi Calypso,

I've received your PM and I'm definitely interested. I'll get back to you soon the same way.

Guild Adept

I receive you PM and all like other friends

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast