Thread: Forested Mountains

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Question Forested Mountains

Hi friends I'v run into a bit of a problem with a map I'm building for fantasy game.

I've got a big jungle-y forest that borders some mountains, similar to what you might see on the border of the Andes. I'm wondering if anyone in the hivemind has seen or figured out a way to represent forested mountains for a hex style map.
    I'm looking at the Matas Mountains specifically as being "jungle-y mountains"

Cheers

Map_Essith_Temp.png

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Haven't we all been there?

I bumped into the same problem a few years back, though not with a hex map. That makes it bit tricky. Maybe you could work with coloring? Regular mountains a more grayish shading, forested mountains more green. And mybe fill in a few icons for hills, for forests don't grow that high up.

Quote Originally Posted by Llannagh View Post
    Haven't we all been there?

I bumped into the same problem a few years back, though not with a hex map. That makes it bit tricky. Maybe you could work with coloring? Regular mountains a more grayish shading, forested mountains more green. And mybe fill in a few icons for hills, for forests don't grow that high up.
    You'd be surprised. I've had a quick scour about on Google Earth and did some reading on the maximum altitudes of forests - the tree line. It largely depends on the climate conditions but generally the tree line increases the closer to the tropics you go. In the Himalayas there are forests on the southern side of mountains over 3000m above sea level. I had a look at places in Europe where I know about forests at higher elevations and in Slovenia there are trees at least 1000m, Transylvania getting closer to 2000m.

I guess it just depends when you start calling something a mountain. Where I live it is rather flat so a speed bump in the road is considered almost alpine!