Thread: Fantasy Continent Map (Looking for art and design assistance)

Help Fantasy Continent Map (Looking for art and design assistance)

Project:
    Looking to comission an artist for the creation of a fantasy continent that I've been using for my homebrew DnD game. The continent is quite large and has already been drafted, but I am also looking for some serious advice to make it make more sense. I lack the knowledge to create landmasses that make sense, so I'd love an artist willing to give design advice. I do not intend for this to just be a copy of my draft, but I understand if I am asking too much for my asking price

Payment:
    I'd be willing to pay up to $200 canadian dollars (~150 USD)

Deadline:
    Anywhere in the next 2 or so weeks, preferably before first of August.

Current design:
    I think I attached an image, but if I didn't I'll do my best to explain. Vanton is the largest continent of my world and is home to a wide range of biomes, but they are pretty haphazardly placed.
    The South west is occupied by the Gale Wood which is pretty sparsely decorated but is where the focus of my game is atm. I also created the "scale" here, which is 1 day of travel is equal to the distance of Rispin and Orsbricht, so about 24 ish miles. I'm not sure if these works, especially when put into context of other areas of the continent. This is definitely an area I'm looking to fill out, along with the rest of the continent tbh, I feel like it is all so sparse with little differentiation between these areas. The northen portions are populated with a desert and a large river, along with the largest city on the continent, Carthans. This is still v WIP, along with the south west and western portions of the map.There is a mountain range, but I feel like its awkward and would like to see this adapted.

End thoughts: In total, I'm looking for someone willing to go back and forth a bit on the design and how best we can develop this map. I want to be respectful of your time and experience, so if the price tag doesnt fit we can look at shrinking the expectations or map to better fit. You can reach me at saffron1825@gmail.com. Discord messaging would be preferable though.

Thanks for your help and interest!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your budget for this project seems fine to me, it's a little on the low side but should still cover a decent map.

Your 2-week deadline is very short though. Going back and forth to sort out project details can be quite time-consuming, especially if you end up with an unfavourable match-up of time zones. I would offer to do this for you but I've just taken on a new project and I already have one on the go so I won't have any availability until mid-August at the earliest. Hopefully, you can find someone to do it for you who can manage the deadline though.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    Your budget for this project seems fine to me, it's a little on the low side but should still cover a decent map.

Your 2-week deadline is very short though. Going back and forth to sort out project details can be quite time-consuming, especially if you end up with an unfavourable match-up of time zones. I would offer to do this for you but I've just taken on a new project and I already have one on the go so I won't have any availability until mid-August at the earliest. Hopefully, you can find someone to do it for you who can manage the deadline though.
    Thanks wminish, I really appreciate your advice. I love your art style; its so evocative and reminds me of the beautiful art works present in a lot of the books I read growing up. I understand the timeline is a bit tight, especially after browsing some of the quality artists in this forum. That skill can't be rushed. I'd love to reach out to you come august if I don't find someone with the space to accept another comission. What is your general timeline to complete a map and do people generally place a deposit to hold a spot?

Thanks!

I sent you an email.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

I sent an email as well.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by LordSmallpeen View Post
    Thanks wminish, I really appreciate your advice. I love your art style; its so evocative and reminds me of the beautiful art works present in a lot of the books I read growing up. I understand the timeline is a bit tight, especially after browsing some of the quality artists in this forum. That skill can't be rushed. I'd love to reach out to you come august if I don't find someone with the space to accept another comission. What is your general timeline to complete a map and do people generally place a deposit to hold a spot?

Thanks!
    For this sort of map I would generally expect to be able to complete the project over a 4 to 6 week period depending on how much back and forth was required. Currently, I only work part-time so I can't really do quick turnaround projects.

I do sometimes take a deposit to hold a place in the queue so this is something we could look at if we get there. It seems like you have some interest from other cartographers as well so hopefully you'll be able to get a timeline that meets your needs but definitely get in touch if you're still looking in a few weeks and want to get something booked in.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Hey there, this has been taken by https://www.artstation.com/alibarbar, Limons maps.

Thanks!