Thread: Faeries Fountain - First Serious Battlemap -

Map Faeries Fountain - First Serious Battlemap -

The below, "Faeries Fountain" is for a custom encounter location in volume 1 of Curse of the Crimson Throne, a module I have heavily reworked for my own campaign. It depicts a chained up park area in Korvosa which is used at night as a "kiddie stroll" -- a park for underage prostitution now used by Gaedron Lamm's lambs.

Three years ago, the park was initially used by some of the younger members of Eodred's harem for prostitution following his marriage to Ileosa. When the Queen eventually heard of the scandalous purpose which had taken over the park during the nigtht, she ordered the gates of the park chained shut. About a year later, Gaedron had Yargin remove two of the wrought iron bars (he used his wand of acid splash acid to eat through the bars) in the middle of the north alley to permit clandestine entry.

It's my first attempt at a serious battlemap. I obviously used some objects from Dundjinni and I probably would have had more success with my own water textures and scratch building the fountain.

Comments and feedback are welcome.

FaeriesFountain1.jpg
    Last edited by Steel_Wind; 09-24-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey there old friend! Glad you finally got around to posting something here!

Looking good for a first serious attempt! What software did you use. You said dundjinni objects, did you use that software too?

My only feedback would be that the circle of bricks around the fountain seems a little off center. That could be by design though. I'm just a little ocd so it jumped out at me. I'm also not a huge fan of the ripples. They don't seem as realistic as the rest of the texturing in the map. If the ripples are a layer effect maybe make them a little less opaque? Or they're part of the fountain object and you don't have any control over that. As a whole though, I like the map. Pretty straightforward and looks like a good place for a showdown.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk
    Fantaseum (https://www.fantaseum.com)

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

It was done in Photoshop, latest current version.

The objects were sourced from the Internet where they were initially created for use with Dundjinni. Part of that fountain was. I didn't do the water in the fountain. I darkened it a little, added some shadow and put the leaves and some dirt in it to try and offset the unnatural blues in the water. I had never tried to do water before and as I needed to get this one done, I decided to use the pre-made fountain. It is the iffiest part of the map for sure.

That said, as a first attempt, it turned out alright so I'm pleased with it.

It's 30"x24", flip-mat size map at 70dpi for use in D20Pro. It works for the encounter, which is initially an investigation area and can then evolve as choices dictate.

You are right Robbie, something got messed up with my inner circular paving stones and it was misaligned. Fixed, thanks.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Not bad as a starter....I use CC3 but have "stolen" Dundjinni Art to use. I was a Dundjinni User till I had to upgrade Computer. Doesn't easily install on Windows 8...and there is Hope still that Dundjinni 2 is on the Horizon.
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

I have Dundjinni Platinum (CC3 as well for that matter) but I can't say as I ever got good results from either. I attribute that to a lack of dedication to learning -- and a lack of robust YouTube tutorials at the time I got both, back-in-the-day.

While I am more familiar with GIMP (and thus prefer it for simple tasks) there is no getting around the greater power of Photoshop, especially when it comes to Fx and texturing tools.

I went for the subscription for Photoshop which makes it quite affordable. And while I do admit it is a struggle trying to learn it, it's coming along. That I could do this map with Photoshop was rather satisfying.

Next up: Castle Korvosa!
    Last edited by Steel_Wind; 09-25-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

My critique would be the fountain ripples, they would not propagate and end just like that.

Nice work Steel-Wind.

Thanks Bogie!

In your battlemap gallery, in photo 20 of 30 you have a feast hall. There is a cool tile texture you use for the castle floor. I want that texture! Know where I might find it?

For those who may be curious, the texture I requested was helpfully posted by Bogie in his response here:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post315329