Thread: Planning for Prinitng

Guild Journeyer

Question Planning for Prinitng

So I'm looking to do a large poster size map and want to make sure that I plan ahead so that the image can be print ready. (I plan to publish on the DMsGuild, but want to provide a print ready file that someone can take to their local shop or have printed via an online service.)

First, I'm assuming that such would be in the neighborhood of a paper size of 24"x36". But even if that is the paper size, I know that's a US standard and might be an issue in other locations. So, what'a a good standard paper size to plan for?

Also, how much unprintable area is there? Should I plan for the whole thing and have people pay extra (?) to have it printed to the edge (bleed?)

I could not find a good primer on this topic online, so if anyone knows one or can let me know how to go about it, would be much appreciated.

Also, is 300dpi the desired resolution or should I plan for something higher (like 600dpi)?

Blog Entries

size chart
    http://www.eae.co.uk/images/print_sizes.gif

a1 or a0 and 300 pixels per inch are fine

For a 36 x 24 inch print ,that is a retentively small to medium image ( 10800 x 7200 ) pixels image

i routinely work with imaging datasets that are 3 to 5 times larger

if you can work with a big image then use 600 ppi ( 21600 x 14400 ) use that

i would plan for a 1 inch or 1.5 inch border but that is up to you, a 1/4 in is just fine also
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Journeyer

Thanks John. The US size is pretty close to an A0, so I'm hoping the numbers I use below also work for printing in other countries.

I found a little bit of info online. What I needed to know is the "bleed" and the "trim". The Bleed is the amount of over image to make sure that your edges have no white on them. Trim is the amount of error that when it goes to print they might not get your image centered.

At Vista Print, they use .137" for both of these (for a 24x36" print). What they suggest is to create the image at 24.5 x 36.5" and then allow for what you actually want printed to be centered in 23.863 x 35.863" in case when they trim they don't get it centered.

What that means for making a map is that I will have a background border that goes all the way to the edge (so no white space). And then a decorative border (probably Dethek Runes) that go to the 23.8125 x 35.8125" (even number of 16th of an inch less than the trim number) outer limits. I'm thinking this decorative border should be about 3/8" wide based on other printed maps I've seen.

If that doesn't jive with anyone's experience, would greatly appreciate your insight!