Thread: Island Port of Toborr

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Wip Island Port of Toborr

Been too busy last few months to do much map work but thought I'd post this in progress - the port city of Toborr. This is the greatest port in the nation of Orror in my world of Helevos, a city with a long and complex history, sitting in the mouth of the longest river in the world, the Great Wiyel.

Toborr is at least 4000 years old and for much of its city was a fiercely independent city state, guarded by its position, its strong walls, and the "Roaring Man", a terrifying bronze colossus reputed to belch fire at an enemy foolish enough to approach the city in anger. All that is now ancient history, but Toborr is still a colourful international port, famed for its spices, its pilgrims, its art and its brothels.

Across the river sits the more conservative, orderly, and sober city of Vailinn, known for its clean streets, its disapproving glances, and its watered liquor.

Very much a work in progress (many years...) but hopefully I'll get around to finishing it! It needs more labels, a frame, and generally more work in bringing it to life.

toborr-v1.png

Just a couple thoughts on the type. Do the primary roads need to have larger type? the road itself it wider, which already calls it out as more prominent, so maybe don't' need this second distinction (just a thought.)

Also think Toborr and Valinn are too dominant.

Looks like Upriver Dock has a different leading (space between lines) than Fort Rordor which works a little better, the type doesn't touch each other.

Love the layout and and the other elements, great job so far.

The layout is great (I love the multiple islands in the delta) and the sand balks depiction is great too. I'll follow the thread with interest.

Thanks for your comments - Snodsy you're right the labels were the wrong size, my original version was much more zoomed out so they looked funny, I've corrected. The leading space was actually the same for all labels, it just looked odd with the g and D in Pilgrim's Dock touching, I've made the space a bit bigger.

Thomrey thanks, I looked at some maps of river deltas and played around with making a delta, I hope it looks realistic.

Here goes draft 2! I've dirtied it up as a much-thumbed tourist map, with some accompanying text. For context, Toborr is the main port of the theocratic nation of Orror - for atmosphere, think of the Ottoman Empire in the 17th Century, but with theocratic magic. This map is produced by a Hartheran printer - Harthera more resembles a British or German Empire in the 18th century. The two nations are rivals, and snooty Hartherans look down on their wealthy but less-technological neighbours.

toborr-v2.png

Great Map! But you're not kidding us, are you? This is really a map that you made and not a photo of one printed on paper? Keep the good stuff coming!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Damn you got me Mark - I printed it out, stuffed it in my back pocket and went on my travels through imaginary places

Draft 3. I added a couple of panels on the left for history and local colour. What do you think?

toborr-v3.png

Gorgeous! You really pay attention to details!
    You wrote "anicent world" at the end of the The Roaring Man paragraph

Ha well spotted! Just my little test to see if anyone was paying attention :p

Well if no-one has other comments I'm doing a final version and bumping it to completed