Thread: Volcanos?

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Default Volcanos?

Hi all,

I've been using the pdf version of RobA's Artistic Maps in Gimp Tutorial to make my maps and it's great, but I'm not really sure that the mountain method will work particularly well for a volcano.

So, yeah, my current WIP Telapis is a small archipelago and the only mountains of any size are a couple of volcanos on the main island. (Yeah I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here as I still have to lay down the base colours but thinking ahead is good).

So does anyone have any advice on adapting the mountain method in that tut for volcanos or a rec for a tutorial that will help.

Thanks,
    Becka

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Thanks. :-)

I have to admit I don't know how to use Wilbur and was hoping there would be a method I could use in Gimp without learning new software.

Becka

I've never used gimp, nor followed that particular tutorial, but it looks like you have a gradient that gets turned into a height map at some point (Part 3, step 15)? Putting a darker dot in the center at that step should end up looking like a volcano's crater in the final product, I think.