Thread: WIP: Arganthia

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Solice's Avatar

Wip WIP: Arganthia

Long time lurker here. Off an on.
    I think my first post is a strong one, I followed Ascension's Tutorial to make the map itself. I'm experimenting with symbols and legend styles..

The setting is dark high fantasy. For a world created by a friend that we and a couple of others play in.
    Arganthia.jpg

What I find the hardest is experimenting with more visual cues as to what is what. I might tweak rivers a bit. As well as forests, swamps, and the usual greenery. Thoughts please? I am open to all criticism.

My friend wanted a canyon in the northeastern country, so I added one. Couldn't find a real way to actually do it..I didn't know where to start so I just drew one in with the pencil tool based on the sketch on how he wanted it done...
    Canyon_detail.jpg

This is a good start! I'm curious about seeing the next development before offering too much... First thoughts, the borders between the countries is currently distracting, but probably because there isn't any other labeling. I'm also curious why there is a perfect four corner of the countries... unless there is a narrative reason (treaties, a very specific geographic reason), you don't see that very often.

As for the canyon, if you want it to match the overall aesthetic of the rest of the map: Do you see the shelves at your shorelines, how it appears to drop off as you go out into the ocean? That's essentially one half of a canyon. While the tones should be in earth and greens, not ocean, the way it is textured there would make a nice canyon look in the middle of the map.

(Probably sounds like rambling... need more coffee)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayharchitect View Post

(Probably sounds like rambling... need more coffee)
    You sir are a saint. Indeed, the border are kinda distracting. I was just following the tutorial for their addition, and it also helps the political view of the map as to what begins where and what starts where. He also wanted emblems, which is what I'm about to update the page with now. Also, there are five sections of the map, the one that is the least conspicuous is "The Free Forest" as it has no emblem and no colors. I'll have to ask why the other four countries are like that in such a way, he probably has a much more in-depth and lore-friendly reasoning than I do.
    Arganthia_political.jpg

Brilliant tip by the way, I will experiment with the shelving for the land. I thought of something similar but I had no idea of how to implement it. Your idea is much more sound and I already know how to do it.