Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first continent map (WIP)

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default My first continent map (WIP)

Hi all

I've recently started working on my own campaign for a 5th edition D&D game. I decided to create my own continent for it rather than use Faerun, and also to draw my own maps.

I've edited the post to include the latest WIP instead of the previous one.

Just needs settlements and roads, and maybe some drawing for the desert and snowy part.

Any tips on doing writing in photoshop?

Thanks!
    Last edited by fetid_discharge; 01-09-2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: New WIP image

Welcome to the Guild! This is an excellent map, even so if this is your first one.
    The size of the mountains in not a problem.

Most maps require some abstraction : some element are depicted larger than what they should be so we can see them at the scale chosen to make the map.
    It's also a matter of artistic preference.

Larger mountains may give the impression the continent is smaller than what it really is.
    But smaller mountains sometimes mean a larger map, more mountains and more work to do.

It does look larger than Wales in my opinion. Well unless mountains are on scale.

Thanks! I've always enjoyed drawing, but before this week I had no idea I loved drawing maps haha!

Yeah I get what you mean. I'm thinking of maybe pushing the North, East and south more to make it seem like a big chunk of the actual continent, with the parts outside of this being much less hospitable.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

oh woaw, those mountains are magnificent! Don't worry about scale, like Azelor said it's mostly a matter of convention, and I think you're doing great. I'm less of a fan of the ripples in the seas as a matter of fact: compared to your mountains, they look a bit too computer-generated maybe, and definitely a bit too overpowering. Zoomed out they look pretty okay, but zoomed in they take away a lot of the attention you probably want directed at the landmasses. So maybe tone them down a bit? Or even redo them by hand in a somewhat thinner stroke? I know, it's more work, but it'll fit better with the style of mountains you're using there, and those are just glorious.

All in all a very good job, and I'm curious where you're going with this!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Wow, those mountains are really good. Congrats!

While what the other two members have said is true, i am one of those map-geeks who like it better if the mapper tries to get the scale he draws for. So depending on how big that continent is supposed to be, i'd agree that the mountains might be a "problem". Mind you, that is criticizing on a very high level...as said, the style you've got is really good. But just to give you another opinion on this, i added my voice
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thanks for the kind words!

I've made the landmass expansion I mentioned, and toned down the coastal waters.

And yeah, that's what I was kinda like, wanting the mountains to be to scale. Haven't decided whether I'll shrink them yet though.

Nice job! How did you do the ocean textures?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Those mountains are f*cking EXCELLENT. Top-notch job.

I am much less a fan of the rivers, however. The clash significantly with the fine linework of the mountains. Maybe try doing away with the black stroke and just use a dark blue (or whatever color) line instead, to balance the 'weight' against the mountains?

And your screen name is great.

Looks nicely done, maybe the plains could use more rivers. One thing I have to say is the islands on the north don't look very geographically realistic although it looks like an accurate depiction of complex island archipelagos for a medieval period.

Impressive, I can see it going places

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast