Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December 2015 Annual Challenge: The Lands of Crecia

Default December 2015 Annual Challenge: The Lands of Crecia

Alright, here's the thread for my entry. It's for a world I've been working on for several years with lore and stuff like that, but I never held onto a map for more than a couple months, and actually one of my previous versions is on this site. But since there's an annual mapping challenge, I figured it would be good to finally settle on a map and might as well make one for this as well.

### Latest WIP ###
    104kksl.jpg

The world is ~the size of Afro-Eurasia, and has 10 species, and I made a Reddit thread a while back going over them a bit. This particular map is finished in my eyes, but it's kind of the layout for my actual challenge map, which is ambitious, but just crazy enough it just might work. This map is more for cities and regions to sort things out in my mind. The colors of the borders represent which species predominantly occupies the area, and the color of the lines correspond with the species color on the border. The Ch-chari are the only real outlier, they are an insect species and live in hives underground and in mountains. On the map they are represented by the blue dots, and the blue names are those of huge hives.

My actual entry will be more painted and mural-y, something that would exist in world. But it would be from the perspective of 'Dagon', a city in about the center of the map surrounded by desert. So everything else would be around that, so if you were standing at that point, everything would look right, nothing would be upside down. So if you look south, it would still be facing you. If that makes sense. And I'm going to try and incorporate lore into the map and stuff like that, and of course not adding all of the cities and stuff that's on this one.

Hope you all enjoy, feel free to add questions/critiques/comments, and I'll be adding more WIPs of the map, and hopefully finish before the deadline.
    Last edited by Goombac; 09-23-2015 at 11:19 AM.

That's lovely! Out of curiosity, did you paint all the environs featured in this layout? Can't wait to see the actual challenge map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks! And yeah, I designed everything for this. I also did the species portraits in the link to the Reddit thread, and I'm working on more to go along with the map.

Very nice job on this! The side pictures and logos are awesome and the map itself very well designed, with a good and original color balance. The only thing I'm not fond of it the mountains (a bit too simple/blobby, I suppose).

Thanks! The mountains are only placeholders, really. This map wasn't intended to be as polished as this one when I began, so the mountains are just for an idea of placement and elevation. The mountains in the submitted map will be more Tolkien-esque, triangle stylized mountains than a satellite view.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, this is pretty cool! I love the side pictures.

Neat! I look forward to seeing where this goes.

By the way, kudos for making all those place names. Even if most end in -a, -in, -il, and -et, it's quite a feat to name hundreds of places differently!

This is great! And I look forward to seeing the version you described as well. I love maps from the perspective of an in-world culture... especially when the artwork is so good.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Thanks you guys! Here's an update on it, so far it's pretty much the same map with some stuff painted over to help get the perspective right, mainly the mountains and some cities. Still heavily planning out so it's super rough, but this should give you guys a better idea of what I'm shooting for. Although I'm contemplating changing the proportions, since right now the sizes seem off, like the mountains and cities not being big enough. But since it's supposed to fit in with my world's lore, it wouldn't be too off to have it with the most important things the biggest, and not the most accurate cartography without satellites or anything.

### Latest WIP ###
    crecia-map-challenge-wip01n.jpg

The main wip is looking north, but since it's such an unusual perspective, I'm also including the wip from the other 3 directions to get a feel.

crecia-map-challenge-wip01e.jpg crecia-map-challenge-wip01s.jpg crecia-map-challenge-wip01w.jpg

Enjoy!

Done any more with this yet? I love the feel of that latest wip you put up and it's still just scribbles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast