Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nihil map

Map Nihil map

Hello everyone! =)

First off I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Matthias Rothenaicher, I am from Germany and I have been studying/working as an illustrator for quite some time now. I only stumbled into cartography (more or lesss by "accident") in mid 2015, though. However, I instantly got hooked by it and started exploring the whole field more and more. I guess I'm here because I think it's time to reach and try to connect with other cartographers. So here I am!

About the map:
    'Nihil' is actually a map I was comissioned with a couple of weeks ago by the dungeon master of a role playing group, who wanted a map for his new campaign setting. So, most of the names were provided by the client, of course. I helped to fill in some gaps, though. It was a lot of fun to work on and at the moment I am still quite happy with the result.

Anyway, I am always curious to hear the thoughts of others, critiques and any other form of comments... =)

Cheers!

-matthias

Todd_Map_Matthias_Rothenaicher.jpg

Beautiful color palette and excellent land shapes for a very pleasant map.

Wow, this is quite impressive for a first map, love the tail of islands. I think your landforms are really nice. and great texture throughout, nice start.

Really cool map, mat_r

I agree with what Ilanthar and Snodsy have already said, and would like to add that the way you have done the ocean, showing the topography of the ocean floor instead of the water surface, greatly enhances an already beautiful work

The map is beautiful ! I love how you managed to put forest on one of the tiny islands. Rep worthy !

As others already said, a very nice start to your map-career on CG I love the colors and shapes.

Für einen etwas ausführlicheren Kommentar bräuchte man wohl eine etwas höhere Auflösung. Wälder und Berge sind etwas zu klein um wirklich etwas aussagen zu können. Auf jedenfall willkommen auf der CG und ich freue mich auf die kommenden Karten aus deiner Karten-Schmiede
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Willkommen Matthias! Wonderful piece! I love the land shape and lively colors. Btw., over at DA i saw you're working for DSA(Ulisses) now, that's great to see. Looking forward to see more of your maps.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Welcome to the Guild Matthias! Great work on the map!

Thank you everyone for your kind words!

Eilathen - Thank you. Yeah, actually it wasn't supposed to be a lot bigger than that. It was intended to be printed on DIN A3. Of course the working file is much bigger than what I uploaded here. I attached a crop with a little more zoom, in case you're interested.

Abu Lafia - Haha, yes indeed! I am very happy about that, too.

closeup.jpg

Cool stuff, mat. Thank you for the "closer look".
    The mountains are very nice and the forest is in the classical style for this kind of map. I like the map even more now

I find the city name of Geschenk quite funny (Geschenk is german for gift)
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast