Thread: April 2021 Mapping Challenge: San Francisco 2185

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map April 2021 Mapping Challenge: San Francisco 2185

So conveniently I'm playing a game in a cyberpunk setting right now. It's in San Francisco 2185, using Carbon 2185 as a ruleset (reskinned 5e). I'm playing Syggy a "korporate kid" with mixed heritage, a genderfluid male-leaning polyglot (speaks Arabic, Hindi, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish) who's a combat hacker and a total diva.

First, I acquired this data using an ArcGis dataset, so that I would have accurate streets.
    san francisco cyberpunk data only.jpg

I removed the labels and made it look more 'Matrix' but I wasn't feeling this direction. At this point I was planning for something like 'glitch art' but I decided against it.
    san francisco cyberpunk green and white og.jpg

So I made it look like this instead. Then I also altered the city expansion to suit the setting stated changes to San Francisco (artificially made land with the sea held back by a wall)
    san francisco cyberpunk no labels.jpg

I added the seawall and boundaries between caste-style regions within the city, and bravely did Chinese calligraphy, something I've done a handful of times for previous maps.
    san francisco cyberpunk purple bright.jpg

I added the English text and a focusing vignette to take the attention away from the western side of the coast, so that we could use that for any game notes without covering anything vital, distracting, or otherwise bright. I still wanted it slightly there, to give the sense of the wider world.
    san francisco cyberpunk pink .jpg

Knowing that everyone else hates vibrance more than I do, I made it more moody.
    san francisco cyberpunk.jpg

I then ended up cropping it to this view for the 'screen' for the game to focus on the area where we're playing instead, and fiddled a bit more with the 'mood' tone.

san francisco cyberpunk screen.jpg
    ### Latest WIP ###
    I am not sure if I will be continuing past this point. We'll see if I get more time to work on our San Francisco. I'd really like to put some in world sponsorship or ads on it, some UI elements. The campaign setting is pretty fun, I recommend checking out Carbon 2185 if you're into bleak corporate dominated cyberpunk.
    Last edited by Tiana; 04-13-2021 at 01:12 AM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!