Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The maps that inspired in you passion for mapmaking

Default The maps that inspired in you passion for mapmaking

I define myself not a map maker , at least not yet lol ... but I always drew maps when I was little as I was imagining lands and people in those...

The ones that inspired me when little were the magnamund maps for the lone wolf gamebooks, I think anre from Gary Chalk, then the Tolkien maps, D&Dragons maps , Zargos lords map and the Morrowind videogame maps.

Wich ones are yours?
    Last edited by Naima; 01-30-2018 at 12:45 PM.

Definitely the Tolkien maps. I also really loved those cutaway maps of buildings when I was young, generally cutaways of castles. Actually I still love those. Then there were the old timey maps which my parents have a book of Blaeuw's maps (with works from bothe the father and the sons) which I love looking at. And finally the Darksun maps are ones that I still remember very fondly.

When me and some friends were running a D+D Greyhawk campaign the DM set us in the city of Vervobonc (Verbobonc is the actual name, but is even dumber), Anyways he had this great perspective map of the city which was clearly inspired by Florence. I've searched for it online a few times but the one I've found isn't the same, the one I remember clearly had Brunelleschi's cathedral in it and a few other differences. (In fact maybe it was just a map they ripped off of Florence entirely? I also remember the Palazzo Vecchio with it's tower being in it very distinctly.)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

There was this table top book of the US Civil War when I was a kid in the 80s. It had dozens of these neat little battlemaps of the surrounding areas with depictions of troop movements. Staring at these for hours at age 4-6 is probably what started my love of maps and strategy games. I don't know who the artist was though. It was before the time of digital though so everything was handdrawn and shaded.

For me, it's definitely the map of Faerun and the Forgotten Realms setting. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20120201174035
    What draw me into the setting is mostly it's plausibility.
    Actually, now I don't appreciate this style that much but it's still a great map.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

For me it was when I first opened the expert set of rules for the Dungeons & Dragons game and saw the map near the back of the book. I was around 12 years old at the time. I had seen the greyhawk map already but something really caught my attention with the known world map. I think it was the pattern of the hexagons. I'm not sure what it is but I like it to this day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For me it was this map of Bhrathairain from The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - The One Tree by Stephen R. Donaldson (1982) (found the image on tumbler so I just linked it rather than uploading it)

Don't know what it was - I redrew this map dozens of times, filling in extra details all over the place.... Don't know what happened to those drawings... sigh.

-Rob A>

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

I'm going to be lame and say those maps that were in the middle of the tolkien books. Something my mum and I used to do was read a chapter and then look at the map to chart their progress.

Other ethan that the recent one are the maps by Gogots. Love the style, colouring and way he does inclines and all that.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

So I found the artist whose Civil War battle maps inspired me as a little kid. It was David Greenspan.

https://thehistoriansmanifesto.wordp...vid-greenspan/

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I also loved those Lone Wolf maps.

Besides that, I remember reading the Belgariad when I was 12 or 13 (when it first came out! ) and loving how there was a map for each new area the characters traveled to. I don't actually much care for Shelly Shapiro's maps, but something about the idea of a fantasy novel as travelogue, complete with maps, hit me in the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane View Post
    So I found the artist whose Civil War battle maps inspired me as a little kid. It was David Greenspan.

https://thehistoriansmanifesto.wordp...vid-greenspan/
    Those maps are awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast