Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Tigana

Default February 2021 Challenge: Tigana

Posting a quick intro on what I'm hoping to do, just to get the ball rolling.

Let's rewind the clock to the tail end of 2014 and the first map I ever made. I'd always loved maps in books, but never considered making my own until around this time. I was a little unsure about starting something completely from scratch, so I decided to have a go at re-making the map from 'Tigana', the novel by Guy Gavriel Kay (an absolutely wonderful book, if you've never read it.)

I remember following a tutorial that I found here at the Guild (this was shortly before I became a member). I can't quite recall which tutorial it was, but I know that about halfway through I decided to do my own thing instead... which may not have been the smartest move...!

I never posted this map here, because I didn't feel it was really *my* map. I traced the outline and the mountains from the map in the book, and half followed a tutorial for the rest. It didn't feel original enough (or good enough).

Looking at it now... that thick black stroke... ewww! And the overdone texture on the background.... and don't even mention the labelling! *cringe* I do remember really enjoying the process though, enough to want to do it again and again... and here we are.

I've thought about remaking this map a few times, but never quite got round to it, so I'm glad this challenge has come up. Hoping I can manage something a little bit better this time.

tigana-old.jpg
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

This is perfect for a re-make. Looking forward to seeing it!

Actually, I kinda like the original. With a few stains and smudges, some crinkling at the edges and maybe a few misplaced locations it would make a great treasure map handout for players.

That being said, and having seen some of your more recent works, I imagine this has the potential to be a killer of a map when you get it finished up.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Thanks for the comments.

@Greason Wolfe Yeah, I suppose the old map could work as a treasure map. Maybe, at some point down the line, I should try a treasure map in this style. The remake will definitely be an entirely different beast.

Haven't had much time over this weekend, but I've made a start. This is all a little tentative at the moment, and I will likely change the colours a little (probably adding a little more green somewhere). I want to include some simple illustrations from the book in the four corner circles, and many of these feature the colours green or blue (for example, a glass of blue wine, the green haired riselka etc), so that's been a big factor in my choice of colour palette. I feel inclined to try an art deco style, certainly for the labelling, so I'm playing about with that, but it's too early to post anything yet. I'll keep dabbling!

### Latest WIP ###

1.png

It looks wonderful so far. I'm always looking for more books to read, so I'll have to check it out.

I do like the compass rose from the original, that could be worth keeping.

IR

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Great idea, CP!

And I second the recommendation to read the book. It's in my top three favorites of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    It looks wonderful so far. I'm always looking for more books to read, so I'll have to check it out.

I do like the compass rose from the original, that could be worth keeping.

IR
    Thanks for the comment. Yup, do check out the book. It's a great read.

I'm not sure about the compass. I think I stole that from the original map in the book, so not sure that I want to include it again, as it's not really mine. I haven't actually planned for a compass, tbh. I'll probably just go with a simple arrow or suchlike.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Great idea, CP!

And I second the recommendation to read the book. It's in my top three favorites of all time.
    Hey man, nice to hear from you! Yeah, love that book. Always hankies at the ready at the end lol!

So, I've been working on this quite a bit and I have an update. I've added mountains and labels using an art deco style font. Dunno if they're over the top or not! I'll probably tweak the mountains slightly, so there are some subtle variations between them, but I seem to have run into an inkscape bug that's causing me a bit of grief, but I'll figure something out. I have a plan to include a pattern in the sea area to break up the solid colour there, and I'll have that in the next update hopefully.

I'm kinda having second thoughts about the colour palette...! Vector is great cos it's so easy to change colours. It's also bad because - when it's so easy to change colours - you start experimenting and can never quite decide what you like best. It's the problem of too much choice! Mostly, I think it boils down to me being bored with green and blue, and even though I think they're sensible choices for this map, I feel a little dissatisfied.

I want to do some work on the border and title area, to get things nearer a finished state, then I'll see how I feel about the final colour palette. Do not be surprised if it all changes!

### Latest WIP ###

2.png

Another update.

I've tweaked the colours a bit, and I'm happier with what I have for now, though I wouldn't rule out tweaking them again! I've dialled it back a bit with the labels, and changed them to a gold colour, which will tie in with what I'm going to do with the borders. I've also added a pattern in the sea.

I've started dabbling with the border and I have a fair idea of what I'm doing in the corner circles, so that'll be next. I'm still going to mess about with the mountains, but I want to make decent progress on everything else before I look at that again. I'll have less time towards the end of the month, so I want to get as much done now as I can.

### Latest WIP ###

3.png

Some more done today. Finished the border, and I've started on the corner circles, but that's very much a WIP at present. Tweaked the colours again ever so slightly and messed about with a few small details. Added a basic compass arrow. Think that's about everything...

### Latest WIP ###

4.png

Added some colour to the mountains. Finished the title block area. Just the corner circles to do, though doubtless I won't be able to stop myself from tweaking bits and pieces over the next few days...!

### Latest WIP ###

5 - 4500px.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast