Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Mintarn, Sacred Island of Fey

Default February 2021 Challenge: Mintarn, Sacred Island of Fey

Greetings!

My very first map I posted to this site definitely looks pretty sad and half finished. A good candidate for a redo, if you ask me.

Mintarn, by Ian Ringler.jpg

Not exactly sure what avenue of medium I want to go down with this one. I just know my skill focus for this map is going to be labeling, something I need to work on because frankly, I'm terrible at it. Practice makes perfect though, so here goes.

IR

PS Does "Fey" double as singular and plural?
    Last edited by Adfor; 02-07-2021 at 07:05 PM.

Quick update before I continue.

Mintarn Redo, by Ian Ringler.jpg

I know, those rivers, holy moly are they bad. Fixed that atrocity, and got the initial sketch done.

IR

PS Yes the one river does look like it flows past the volcano, I'm probably going to nix that, it's supposed to be a lava flow on the east side of the volcano.

Welcome to the challenge. I actually really like the old version, so I'm curious to see what you do with the updated version.

PS I think fey is singular and plural, though I'd probably say 'the fey' if I was referring to them as a race?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Yep, CP got it right, "fey" is both singular and plural as far as I have ever seen it used.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Welcome to the challenge. I actually really like the old version, so I'm curious to see what you do with the updated version.

PS I think fey is singular and plural, though I'd probably say 'the fey' if I was referring to them as a race?
    Hey thanks, Chickpea! I was just getting back into cartography at the time, maybe that's why I feel it's unrefined. I'm going for a more fun design, planning a border too since I have a lot of open space.

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Yep, CP got it right, "fey" is both singular and plural as far as I have ever seen it used.
    Thank you both for clarifying, it may become relevant at some point during this project.

IMG_20210206_103531427~2.jpg

I believe I have the rough draft done, though I'm fumbling around with ideas for the outer water borders. I think I'm just going to leave it be for now.

I've decided to use a new Copic sepia liner set that I've acquired. I want to play around with contrasts of different line thicknesses as well with this project, since I now have a 0.03 to play with.

But that's all for today I think, busy schedule the rest of the day. Let me know what you think of the scroll labeling, that's a first for me.

IR

Looks like this land has a serious problem with littering giants!

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Looks like this land has a serious problem with littering giants!
    I'm not sure that I know your meaning.

Hiya!

### Latest WIP ###
    Mintarn Redo1, by Ian Ringler.jpg

I'm unconvinced of leaving the top portion without some form of river, I've been thinking of a swamp with giant mushrooms, because that's fun. Also, I need to finish the inside of the emblem for New Looshi, then label everything. IR nervous.

Otherwise, I got most of the initial lining done. I loooove these Copic liners, they are superb, especially the 0.03, not even a hint of bleeding. I'm going to do some more small detail lining before I move on to planning the border. I already have some cool ideas to try out.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 02-07-2021 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I'm not sure that I know your meaning.
    Just a joke about the scrolls.

As a more serious version, I do observe that the scrolls have a physicality on the map that is unusual. Such features often are parts of keys or borders or "float" above the terrain. Insomuch as my joke might work, it relies on this fact, as the scrolls can be see as huge banners actually draped across the land.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Just a joke about the scrolls.

As a more serious version, I do observe that the scrolls have a physicality on the map that is unusual. Such features often are parts of keys or borders or "float" above the terrain. Insomuch as my joke might work, it relies on this fact, as the scrolls can be see as huge banners actually draped across the land.
    Well aren't I just thick of skull, haha. My dry sense of humor let another one fly over my head, duh.

The faeries holding the scrolls were just a passing thought, but it worked really well. It reminds me of something MistyBeee would do. Also, I think the scrolls that roll off toward the land itself give it the perspective that they are floating above the land, which was the plan, glad it gives that impression.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 02-09-2021 at 08:24 PM.

About to put this 0.03 liner to the test...

IMG_20210209_201844625.jpg

...and with ink. I was a bit heavy handed, but my fingers were starting to hurt, so be it.

IMG_20210209_211813691.jpg

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 02-10-2021 at 05:31 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast