Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Larerith

Post February 2021 Challenge: Larerith

For this challenge I decided to redo the second map I posted on CG. I was pretty happy with it at that time but after the euphoria of completing my first ink map wore off, I felt that the map is too crowded. Here is the original map:
    Larerith-Original.jpg

I finished the sketch of the redo. I will tweak some things before inking the map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Larerith-01.jpg

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Wow. The first map looks good to me but the WIP is looking really sharp. I can't wait to see the finished version on this! Your labels are superb.

Edit: I think your swamps down past Iesiel look better than the Pondland ones (I keep reading this as Poundland ). I think the Pondland one looks just a tad ... much? There is a lot of detail in that one small region while most of the rest of the map (forests aside) seems to have little minute detail like that. Just my two cents though
    Last edited by Arimel; 02-12-2021 at 07:51 AM.

Both of those look really nice, I'm excited to see your finished new map! That sea monster and ship on the sketch are nice touches. My only concern on the new map sketch is that the mountains look very small, especially compared to the trees, but that's just a small nitpick and it might look fine once you're done with it all. Good luck and happy mapping!

Thanks! Yes, scale/perspective is one of the stuff I need to work on... Something for my sketchbook

Here is my latest WIP. Inking is done.

###Latest WIP###
    Larerith-02.jpg

Next is colouring.

This is looking really nice! I love your lettering.

One tiny thing about the Latest WIP tag... you've missed the spaces, so the thumbnail scraper isn't picking up your latest image. Look at the toolbar at the top of the box where you type comments. Second from the end on the right hand side is a little button with 'wip' in yellow. Click that and it'll insert the tag for you.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I've been meaning to tell you how how lovely this is turning out, but work has keep me busy. Be careful how hard you press with that pencil, you'll wind up coloring it only to find out your pencil grooves won't fill in.

While the scale is slightly off, it's a fantasy map, so I don't see much of an issue with it. Something to learn from and carry forward.

IR

PS I'm kind of sad you removed 'Stillpit', I just love that name for a swamp.
    Last edited by Adfor; 02-14-2021 at 10:04 AM.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I've learned a lot.

Regarding the swamps, I added a base layer of cool yellow, but in the end one cannot distinguish between the marshlands and surrounding ground layer.

Regarding the scale, so we learn.

Thanks, ChickPea, for the tip regarding the Latest WIP tag.

Here is the final version of the map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Larerith-03_final.jpg
    Last edited by KaiAeon; 02-20-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Lovely work on this!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh