Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: September Mapping Challenge: Create a Mapping Object or Texture.

Post September Mapping Challenge: Create a Mapping Object or Texture.

Since everyone seems to be busy I will jump in and get this month's challenge started.

About a year ago, Anomiecoallition suggested a challenge where everyone would make a new mapping object.
    Because we are starting late there is not a lot of time for people to make large complex maps and this could be done fairly quickly.
    This is a subject near and dear to my heart, so that's what I am going with.

The rules are simple, create a Mapping Object or Texture that can be used on a map. That gives you a very broad range of possibilities.

You could make a Table, Chest, Bed, Ballista, Fireplace, Trapdoor, Rug, Monster, Person, Sword, or other object that would go in a Fantasy
    Building or Dungeon. You could make a Control Console, Life Pod or HyperDrive that would go on a SpaceShip. You could make Stone Walls
    or metallic grids to make the buildings or space ship. For those of you who like City, Regional and World Maps, you could make Buildings, Trees,
    Forests, or Mountains that can be stamped or brushed onto a map. Not into that? Then you could make Grunge or Parchment Backgrounds for
    the map, or a cool new Compass Rose. How about Map Borders or those black lined Illustrations that are on old maps.

RULES:
    Make anything you want to, anything that can be used to create a map. You can make up to 6 versions of your item, or 6 different items, but just one is OK too.
    You can include a little mini map to show your item in use, and if you have multiple objects you want to enter, then use the Latest WIP thingy on your mini map at the end so everyone can see all your objects at the same time when they are voting. But be sure to post each item individually for downloading purposes.

Here is a link to Anomiecoallition's original post. You can see that almost everyone voted in favor of this on his poll and there was a lot of good
    feedback and ideas.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...challenge.html
    +++ ************************************************* +++
    The challenge will run to the 26th of September, then we'll have three (3) days of voting, after which the winner will receive a shiny Gold Compass.

Please remember to title your threads like this: September 2014 Challenge: < your title here >

Also don't forget to precede any work-in-progress image with this tag:
    ### Latest WIP ###
    If you don't put that in, the thumbnail scraper won't pick up your image, and no one will see it when it's time to vote.
    Last edited by Bogie; 09-11-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice, simple choice, good for this late start. Good call, Bogie.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

This is great. It's funny: I was thinking of starting up a personal project that would be a "map element of the week", kind of like Windows of New York and Daily Drop Cap. I am in favor of this challenge!
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

awesome...glad to see this finally happened...and now I suppose I must enter myself
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Banned User

Great choice! Even a newbie like me can manage to do something like this in a reasonably short time

Ok, I am definitely going to try and give this one a go.

This sounds like a good one. I will try to get something interesting to throw in.

Sweet. I was just wondering Monday if there would be a challenge to take part in.

And I already have an idea (or twelve) for this.

What if we make several different elements? For example, what if I make a wall section, floor pattern, door object? or are you just wanting the same element?

Striogi
    I think this covers your question!
    and if you have multiple objects you want to enter, then use the Latest WIP thingy
    on your mini map at the end so everyone can see all your objects at the same time when they are voting. But be sure to post each item individually for downloading purposes.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

*daft* dur hurr.

Thanks lostatsea - I didn't connect those two items in my head.

*wanders off to figure out the "Latest WIP thingy"*

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast