Thread: Getting Lost with GIMP version of Ascension Atlas-Style Map

Help Getting Lost with GIMP version of Ascension Atlas-Style Map

Hey all

I'm a beginning-level mapper and have been playing around with Giide's GIMP version of Ascension's Atlas Style Map Tutorial, which I found in the Tutorials in PDF Format thread. I'm using GIMP 2.8.

I got down through step 24 just fine, but starting with step 25, there seems to be some needed detail missing (especially for a newb like me). In step 24, the instructions say to Coastline channel to selection, shrink 10px, feather 10px, invert. I have a Coastline channel, and I was able to do this part.

But in step 25, it says, Select HillOutline channel, fill selection with black. I do have a HillOutline channel, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to select it and fill it with black. When I try do that, nothing happens.

The first several steps of this tutorial were nice because they were very detailed, and I could follow them, but now it seems like the detail is being left out, and I'm not skilled enough with this to be able to fill in the gaps. Can anyone here help me understand what I'm missing?

It's kind of a bummer because my play map is starting to look good!

Thanks!

Oh, I don't know if this helps at all, but I tried adding the HillOutline channel to the selection, then filling with black. I still can't do anything with it, but my HillOutline does look a little strange. Am posting it below.Odd Selection.png
    Last edited by tbgg; 11-04-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Hi,
    Reviewing this tutorial, could it be that you erased the contents of the coastline channel at step 15 ? At 15c, be sure to reselect your layer before deleting the selection (15g) else you will stay focus on the channel and delete the channel content.
    Hoping to be of help

Select the fill tool and have it on black as the foreground colour then in the actual channels dialogue you need to click in the tiny rectangle version to fill with black. I think that should be what you are looking for.

I think I figured this out, finally. What I needed to do was hide all layers, then make the HillOutline channel visible. Once I did that, I was able to add the black to it and move on.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

tbgg