Thread: [WIP] La Dometo de l' Ermito (The Hermit's Cottage)

Wip [WIP] La Dometo de l' Ermito (The Hermit's Cottage)

Here is another work in progress map, with most of the basic layout based on our house and yard. Being a huge Tolkien fan I also have a map of either Beleriand or Numenor in mind.

This is a map of a hermit's home and surrounding yard, garden and forest. While coming up with the title, I decided to name it and the labels (when I get to that part) in Esperanto (which I can speak, not sure if anyone else here knows/knows of it?).

I used Google Earth to get the layout of it and the basic 3D shapes. It will help a lot to keep the perspective right, but any other ideas to help me with that?
    This is an example of the Google Earth picture I used.

La Dua Mapo de Mateo2.jpg

After I had finished the sketch Jo showed me J. Edward's incredible map and I practiced my trees using that.
    Here's the sketch of the map, and those trees at the top what it will like like in the end.

La Dua Mapo de Mateo1.jpg

Any comments, critiques or help very welcome!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Not really too much to say on this Matthew since it's early days yet. Starting with the green background is interesting though.

Your sketch seems to have a decent layout and the finished trees look good, so I think it's shaping up nicely.

I imagine you've planned for title space (it's a long 'un ) and border work, but if not it's worth bearing in mind just so the composition can stay balanced.

The only thing that I find a bit much at the moment (still early days I know) are the shadows from the finished trees. It will probably work fine when all of them are in the rest of the piece, but perhaps it could be a lower opacity. Just play and find out as you go!

Look forwards to seeing more!

Oh, and I don't know Esperanto, but if you think it will fit the map, then go for it.