Thread: Hello from Germany - a brief introduction and a short tale of my journey so far :)

Post Hello from Germany - a brief introduction and a short tale of my journey so far :)

Hello everyone,

after lurking in the shadows for a few weeks and being to shy to actually introduce myself (sry for that :/) I decided to come out of hiding. So here it goes!

I am a mediascientist with a focus on Games in all shapes and forms as well as worldbuilding. I am a longtime P&P GM as well but at the same time a novice map creator. After years of getting away with extravagant descriptions and very simple sketches I decided to give the use of props a shot and started to look into mapmaking. As it turns out I am not overly gifted with drawing by hand and decided to check out GIMP - a program that I only used for some very boring charts and graphs so far...

Next thing I know I spent days glued in front of my PC - jumping back and forth between YouTube and GIMP - trying to figure out (a) how maps actually work and (b) how GIMP works. It went ok for some days, but my first map didn't really turn out to my liking (Who'd thought, huh? ). Still, I fell in love with the process of mapmaking and don't intend to let anything stop me from at least becoming halfway decent in creating maps.
    At the moment I am working on a fantasymap for our DnD group, created after a rough sketch from our DM

Long story short: it led me to this wonderful community of talented people and I am hoping to learn and someday contribute at least something

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey Jhereg, thanks for delurking! I think you'll find the Guild is a great resource - not just for information on technique, but for inspiration, constructive criticism, and friendship.

Gruaß Di' Gott!

Willkommen an Bord!

Servus,
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Willkommen Jhereg! Kann dir nur empfehlen, bei Zeiten den Sprung ins (gar nicht so) kalte Waser zu wagen und einfach einen WIP thread für deine Karte(n) aufzumachen um Tips, Feedback und Hinweise zu bekommen. Im Tutorial Subforum gibt's ebenfalls reichlich Material zum Stöbern. Ich nutze selbst seit längerer Zeit Gimp und wenn du irgendwelche Fragen hast, melde dich einfach (auch per PM).
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Morjen!

Willkommen an Bord.

Servus aus Wien!

I've also been lurking in the shadows for some time because I was too shy to introduce myself. It's nice that you came out of the hiding as well! I'm also using Gimp (which gives me a headache sometimes) and I'm very curious about your first maps.

Guild Apprentice

Moinsen... Welcome to the guild my fellow German Freue mich darauf eine fertige Karte von dir zu sehen. Besonders die deiner DnD-Gruppe.