Thread: Advertize

Default Advertize

Where do you guys advertize to promote your works?

I promote my work pretty much all over the place. I'm on DeviantArt, Artstation, Google+, Facebook and Instagram. Every time I finish something or have something to share in my network I post in on all those media. I also try to engage with people that might be interested in my work as much as possible, mostly on Facebook and Instagram.

Oh, and there's also this place on the internet that pretends to be a 'Guild'

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A310F met Tapatalk

I could add Twitter and Pinterest, although I don't think the latter is very good for that purpose.

I post mostly here, or at the profantasy site, although I have noticed that a couple of my maps have shown up on Pinterest, even though I didn't actually post them.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

I don't promote my works, that could cause endless interruptions by folks asking about my making this or that item for them and then I'd spend my time writing up responses and figuring out how much to charge only to be left hanging without a yea or nay. And then if I got the job there comes the deadlines and all that late night work trying to meet expectations. Oh, what a bother...

Obviously I'm totally kidding around. Personally, I would admit that I haven't done a great job of this. I am on deviantArt and here as well as I have a simple website. Granted I'm only dabbling with turning this into an actual money making proposition. My biggest issue is I'm not prolific enough because I make my living doing something else entirely and it's hard to turn down that good paying work to do this. I am gearing my life towards that however but we shall see how it goes.

If I where you, I would look at what some of the professional artists are doing. There are a few around here that make money at it. Just click on their signatures and follow the links, see what they have done. If you know of any professional artists of any type look them up and see what they are doing.

I know a number seem to have Patreon accounts which seems like a good idea if you can get yourself organized for it.

I guess it depends on how far you want to go.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Like Dan, I am posting to various sites. Some are much more effective than others.
    It depends a lot on who you are trying to reach and what you hope to gain from that reach.
    Guild, DeviantArt, Artstation, Behance, Pinterest, FB, Instagram, Tumblr, flickr, my own website, i tried Vero briefly...
    And then there's sites like Red Bubble, Inprnt, Zazzle, Society6, and maybe some others.
    Some of these are sites I tried out but then sort of slacked off as I realized they were less effective for me.
    And you have to be prepared for those new sites that will come up in the future as well.

For me, at this point, I have been primarily focused on reaching potential clients, mostly commercial.
    But I have connected with a number of private individuals as well.
    Some sites mostly just serve to raise your visibility, which does have a positive effect for being noticed by clients.

But if your desired reach was for something like patreon, then your chosen platforms might differ based on the type of person you were trying to reach.
    An example would be whether your fan base might be rpg gamers and DMs, versus something more like fantasy fiction readers, perhaps.
    That's sort of a dilemma I am facing with which direction to go in for patreon. Still haven't been able to get that sorted in my head yet.

But here's a huge tip for any and all who will make the attempt to promote their own work on any given site..
    be genuine and don't just go there to drop off your work for display. Interact and be social.
    If you just drop work and leave, people can feel that distance.
    That is more important with things like a fan base for something like patreon.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    But here's a huge tip for any and all who will make the attempt to promote their own work on any given site..
    be genuine and don't just go there to drop off your work for display. Interact and be social.
    If you just drop work and leave, people can feel that distance.
    That is more important with things like a fan base for something like patreon.
    The artist who I see being more successful via social media always do so by sticking to this advice. 'Social' really is the key term. And from what I've seen of others it also involves more than just making art pieces, you might consider doing videos and sharing more about the process and possibly your life with your fans.

This also involves two more things things. One is narrowing it down to a certain amount of sites upon which you can spend appropriate attention. And two, time. It takes a while to build up a base, and also to maintain that base. Once developed it gives you a much greater eyeball return than in the beginning. So it's kind of a heavy investment before you may even see any dividends, and its not a sure thing.