Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 2016 Challenge: Londe

Default July 2016 Challenge: Londe

Hi! I thought this month's challenge was kind of intriguing, and decided to try my hand at it. Unfortunately, as I was a bit on the edge on whether or not to actually join the challenge when I generated my list of possible locations, I forgot to take a screenshot .

However, I did write down the option I found most interesting, which was this one:

"4 Londe, an ancient realm of cratered lowlands and azure seas, beneath a starlit sky. The realm is primarily populated by dwarves, with smaller numbers of other races. The dwarves of Londe are ruled by a cruel nobility of devils."

Once again, sorry for not taking that screenshot. I have to admit I tried to "cheat" a bit afterwards and see if that option would come up again (so I could take that screenshot!), but alas, the chances of that exact combination turning up are so minuscule that I was forced to admit my sin.

Anyway, after reading the description of "cratered lowlands and azure seas", I came up with the idea of using Martian topography as a basis for the map. So, I essentially took a piece of Mars' landscape, modified it and then ran it through Wilbur, adding erosion and some canyons/rivers into the landscape (also I flipped it 180°). I'm not sure if the "realistic topography" approach entirely fits the concept, so I might do a more "fantasy style" version of this, but here's what the "the Realm Beneath the Stars" looks like now:

### Latest WIP ###
    Londe.jpeg

PS.
    I think I put Olympus Mons on the map (the huge volcano).
    Last edited by Charerg; 07-20-2016 at 04:39 AM.

Ok, an update:

After much trial-and-error, I managed to finally settle on a few colour schemes I liked. However, I'm a bit on the fence between two versions, which one do you (my fellow guild members) prefer, Option 1 or 2?

Also, the map has been flipped (again). I think I'll keep the topography (since the Mars-based topographic map is kind of the main idea behind this map), and try to work the "fantasy elements" into the borders.

### Latest WIP ###

Option 1:
    Londe_II.jpeg

Option 2:
    Londe_III.jpeg
    Last edited by Charerg; 07-20-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the second version, the less-red one.

And you are absolved of not posting your screenshot. Go forth and sin no more, my son.

The second version it is! Well, actually I decided to adopt the sea colouring from the first one so this is a bit of a combination of the two:

### Latest WIP ###
    Londe_III.jpeg

Also, I made a compass rose for the map (which I also adopted as my avatar ). That will probably be incorporated in the borders, once I get around to doing them.

Ok, I've started working on the borders, and have part of the frames finished (incorporating the compass rose into the frame). This is how it looks like:

### Latest WIP ###
    Londe_III.jpeg

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking pretty awesome so far. What are your plans for the red-leather sections on the side?

I was thinking to place some thick sidebars (well, more like flat slabs) there with some Sumerian/Babylonian/Assyrian inspired carvings showing scenes from the fall of the Dwarven realms to those cruel devil overlords. Though the style with this map so far has tended to change as soon I actually start working on some element (I originally planned for both the compass and the frames to look quite different).

Edit:

Actually I decided to change the leather texture as well. Anyway, I think the frames should be ok now:

### Latest WIP ###
    Londe_III.jpeg

I suppose this will be some sort of "portal" style frame. In hindsight, perhaps some sort of satellite-style map might work best, with this being a kind of magical window showing a satellite view of the place. Well, perhaps I'll just finish the border stuff first before jumping into some super-ambitious revision of the map, after all the deadline isn't that far off for the contest.
    Last edited by Charerg; 07-22-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Very nice, Charerg! The frame is much better now, imho. I would probably go for a less saturated blue, but that's just my personnal taste.

Ok, the scenes on the side sections are about 50% done (I'll just duplicate them for the other side). At the moment, I have the scenes "looking in the wrong direction" (outward instead of towards the map), but I'll fix that once I am finished with the decorations themselves.

### Latest WIP ###
    Londe_III.jpeg

Very fine work on the texture and your compass rose is wonderfull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast