Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: July/August Lite Mapping Challenge: Black Talon Reach

Wip July/August Lite Mapping Challenge: Black Talon Reach

For this challenge, I'm mapping a bandit camp that will eventually be used in my Larysia campaign. Black Talon Reach is in the Black Talon Mountains of Ehmerel, the northern most continent of Larysia. A couple thousand years ago this area was inhabited by the noble Dragon Born, Black Talon Reach has long been abandoned, which makes it perfect for a bandit hideout.

I'm just in the beginning stages... so I'm just setting up the river.

### LATEST WIP ###

Black Talon Reach.01lrg.PNG
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

And what a lovely river it is, ladiestorm! I really dig the fish. Looking forward to see where you go with this.
    I remember I really enjoyed watching your Wizard Finds a New Love challenge map develop. Thanks for sharing so much of your process with everyone!

Welcome to the Challenge Ladiestorm, looking for great things from you!

@mixerbach-. Thank-you so much! I admit, Merydyan is still one my favorite maps. Coming up with ways to create elements I wasn't used to using pushed me way out of my comfort zone, and seems to be keeping me out of the box! Once I start improvising and adapting, I tend not to stop!

This river, for example. A wonderful lady from the profantasy forums came up with a tutorial to make this river. It's a layering effect where you use transparency and different effects on each layer( or sheet for cc3+ users) to get the desired look. But I don't want each river I do to look the same, so I've expanded on her original to give my river a slightly different look, by using g different water bitmaps than what came with cc3+. I even used this method for creating the ocean in my Cathoulla City map. The applications are endless!

@ Bogie - lol....well all I can do is my humble best, and continue to work out of my comfort zone!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Coming up with ways to create elements I wasn't used to using pushed me way out of my comfort zone, and seems to be keeping me out of the box!
    Absolutely! And if you were paying attention, as the month went on you could see that whole transformation happening! I know how fun it was to simply be a spectator to it, so I'm sure living it was even better!

I'm really hoping I might experience similar achievements in my own cartography by doing this challenge and other "participation" stuff like it in the future. Feedback is KING! So, the more ways I can open up for people to give me that, the better!

Speaking of which... I just posted my rough draft in it's own thread: "Apprehension of Toah 'Two-Steps' ". When you get a chance, I'd love to get your thoughts on it! Keep up the awesome mapping!

Lol... I've already seen it.:-D

Oh, and by the way... I've only been mapping since Feb/March myself. So I've been at this about 5 months. Wow, where does the time go? Anyway, I wouldn't be where I am now, if it weren't for the feedback I get here, and on the profantasy site. That and I have a mentor, of sorts, in fact, I seem to have a couple!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Guild Member

Great start, ladiestorm! I'm liking the textures so far. I'll be interested to see how you add some terrain elements. With the word "reach" in the name I am assuming it is either in a hilly area or is just really far out there. I've got a lot of mountainous terrain in my map which I may regret because I'm struggling with how to depict them... Anyway, looking forward to seeing the next phase.

P.S. What is the origin of the poem in your signature? Just piqued my curiousity...

@ 7sided - why thank you! I will be posting an update later today, so you will get to see more.:-)

As for the origin of my signature poem.... it's an original written by me, from when I was part of the HTML rpg forums. Storm has been my nickname since I was a small child, because of my temper, and my intense love of thunderstorms.

And I'm actually a published writer under the name S D McDaniel. Poetry is what I'm most known for. I'm not famous or anything, but I am considered a professional. I wrote that signature poem about 15 years ago, and decided to resurrect it when I joined the forums here.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

So here is my next rendering... and I'm happy with it... but not entirely. I may need to rework the ground floor snowy area, but I'm not sure yet.

@7Sided - this camp is actually at the base of a cliffside that lead into the Black Talon Mountains... and it's called Black Talon Reach because it was a village of a Dragon flight and their Dragon Born offspring. (5th ed D&D) The lairs above(not pictured) is the Dragon Reach... Hence, Black Talon Reach. Interestingly enough, the bandits that moved in, adopted the name, and call themselves the Black Talons.

### LATEST WIP ###

Black Talon Reach.02LRG.PNG

as always, feedback is most welcomed!!!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I like the back story!

(I already said it was good back on the Profantasy Forum).

Nice going, Storm

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast