Wow! These are some splendid maps John! Congrats on such an interesting commission.
Back in the summer of 2016 I was contacted by Scholastic to work with them on the endpapers for a book they were publishing called The Trail by Meika Hashimoto.
The story follows Toby as he hikes a portion of the Appalachian Trail through the White Mountains in New Hampshire into Maine toward Katahdin.
I had the pleasure of reading the manuscript before working on them, which I often find helpful to get the feel and flavor of the work.
It's target audience is young adult but it was still a pleasant read. I believe the paperback will still feature the maps in some fashion.
The project had some decent challenges and a fair amount of research involved and was one of the most interesting map projects I had worked on to that point.
It was completed in February of this year [2017] and the book was published on July 25th and is out in hardback. The front and back endpapers were different, which is not the common practice but the section of the Appalachian Trail was long and this allowed for more illustration variety and a more in depth look at the trail.
It was to be done in one color so I had to expand my usage of halftone to get the full spectrum look I wanted, but it was still a challenge.
These were two of my favorite maps and thought the blue on cream really looked nice. Enough rambling. Here's the maps. Also have two photos of them in book.
The Trail Endpages [front] for Scholastic by sirinkman.jpg>----------->The Trail Endpages [rear] for Scholastic by sirinkman.jpg
------------Front papers >-----------------------------------> Back papers
In book pics
Front papers in book.jpg
Rear papers in book.jpg
Last edited by J.Edward; 07-31-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Artstation - | - Buy Me a Kofi
Wow! These are some splendid maps John! Congrats on such an interesting commission.
Last edited by J.Edward; 07-31-2017 at 07:01 AM.
https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...p?albumid=4718
My CC3+ Symbols https://cartographersguild.com/album.php?albumid=5194
My deviantart profile: https://crawfordcartography.deviantart.com/
Thanks Tony
Your illustrations are outstanding, no wonder you can produce such beautiful maps, if you can make such magnificent landscape painting/illustration. (which i find way more difficult than maps).
Thanks for sharing and congratz on that commission !
New Horizons
Fantasy maps and illustrations.
All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.
Support:
Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee
That is awesome. Fantastic work. What is that ball/swirly globe thing in the first image? Something from the book?
Thank you Voolf
Adding other illustrations into a map can be challenging. For me, it has a lot to do with how well I planned it out before starting.
I have a desire to jump right in to the map.
Thanks Falconius
It's a marble, which does figure strongly in the story.
The particular marble was described and was not an easy thing to try to portray.
All of the smaller illustrations relate to specific locations or events in the story.
A number of them changed over the course of edits and revisions.
Wow, John!
Just.... incredible
You put the rest of us to shame! LOL!
Free parchments | Free seamless textures | Battle tiles / floor patterns | Room 1024 - textures for CC3 | GUILD CITY INDEX
No one is ever a failure until they give up trying
The images of the animals are splendid! Congratulations
I can't rep you again just yet, but fantastic work, J. Those critters are great!