Thread: Hello Fellow Cartographers!

quirky_cartographer

Info Hello Fellow Cartographers!

Hello everyone. I'm very new to cartography and thanks to the pandemic I kind of stumbled upon it. Well that and running a custom D&D 5E campaign and also finishing a Starfinder adventure and continuing it on into a custom game. I needed to make maps and it lead me to finding out I kind of enjoy it due to the creativity of it! I've always loved looking at maps which were well created. So thanks to the pandemic and my love of RPGs I ended up falling into this as a hobby I'm enjoying.

I use CC3+ and the add-ons. I know there is a ton of stuff out there but it happened to be the one I fell into without researching things a ton. It's a big learning curve for me especially since my day job is dealing with people's mental health. It's a big transition, but one I like and despite the big learning curve I'm enjoying what I can do with the software so far. Looking into another product or two as well to be able to create even more styles (fantasy, sci-fi, and maybe some modern mapping in the form of sci-fi/fantasy in order to sell for a little side hustle) and I'm sure I'll find a lot of information here on other programs. ProFantasy is also how I found out about here when I was exploring their page. Really glad I am curious and clicked around on their site.

Looking forward to sharing my maps in the future (I want to get a little better first) and getting to meet fellow cartographers. Be well all and I hope to learn and share any knowledge I may have as well. Maybe a trade: map knowledge for mental health knowledge? lol J/k Ethically, I can't do that. But I am looking forward to a knowledge exchange in order to help enhance my skills as a cartographer and also to find a place I can really connect with other like-minded people. Open to bartering, mentors, and friends!

I also created accounts on Instagram, ArtStation, DeviantArt. They are all under quirkycartographer. But seeing as I haven't posted here I haven't posted there yet, either. Just wanted to ensure I was able to get the names before it was too late!

Hello and welcome to the Guild.
    We will waiting forward to see your map, and I'm going to your IG to wait for your post.

I can't help you with software and digital as I do only traditionnal stuff, but I think I heard a lot of cartographer usind Procreate, or of cours Photoshop, even Gimp who looks like a free opensource version of the two others.

Big respect for your job, I'm not sur I could be able do to it.

Enjoy your time here,