Thread: Hello all.

Default Hello all.

Heeelllllo Cartographers Guild! I am in the process of designing computer games and stories in a fantasy world of my own creation. I am debating on whether to try and to learn cartography (since I am already teaching myself pixel art) or just source it out.

Blog Entries

Default Give it a shot

Give it a shot. Learning a new skill is always a good thing to do. Best of luck.

Hiya.

Up to you, really. If you want to hire people, hi, there's me and many others here who take commissions. If you want to learn, you can post your WIPs and get feedback or read tutorials or do the map practice challenges and stuff like that. This is the place to be. Welcome.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Give it a try, at least! But be warned - you might fall helplessly in love with cartography and be forever lost...
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Welcome!

First, get an idea of what your goal is. Look at art styles from programs like CC3, Wonderdraft, and Inkarnate. Love any of those? Then do it yourself because they're so easy. Looking for something more complex? Then it's a tougher call. Give GIMP/Photoshop a try and see if you get into it. If it's a slog and you just want to check the box on a finished map project, save yourself the headache and source it out.

hello eldritchwizard! welcome to the guild! i ended up getting help for a particular project but i'd definitely try to tackle another map by myself again.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Give it a try!! It's fun and not addicting at all. Be warned, it does take a little bit of time to get some skills going, but there are plenty of tutorials here and out there on the web to walk you through just about any style you want. So don't get discouraged, Try and try again!!

Del
    Have Pen. Will Map.
    Have Dice. Will Travel.
    GM for Hire | Artist and Cartographer | Free Quotes on

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    not addicting at all.
    YMMV.

Personally, I get twitchy when I couldn't make maps for a week so... well not a bad addiction, at least it's never been too negative to my life. Definitely mentally addictive though, even if not physically. Though, I have adjusted my lifestyle patterns to better accommodate me having time to make maps too, and if I was doing that to make sure I could use a substance I would definitely consider it beginning stages of addiction.

>___>

Workaholic, I guess, but I never displayed any tendencies to that in previous jobs... I think I just love map making more.
    Last edited by Tiana; 10-18-2019 at 02:37 AM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!