Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: The Diamond Trade Route

Default February 2019 Challenge: The Diamond Trade Route

It's about time to start this therad. Everyone are already way ahead i feel nervous.

So here is what Diamond gave me:

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond
    A map of a major trade route - this could be something like the Silk Road, or a sea route, or even an Underdark or subterranean trade route.

Requirements:
    The route, whatever is, must be at least 500 miles in total length, and there must be some scale or way to determine distance on the map. This could be just a regular scale indicator, or something like a note on each leg of the route showing distance between points.

The route must include at least five cities, or ports, or caravanserai, etc.

Common trade goods on the route must be indicated in some way.

Some hazards faced along the way should be indicated. I leave the number up to you, but at least 3.
    First thing that brought my attention was 500 miles road. That is gonna be a small scale map, so i have decided to make very tiny mountains as i did on my Poland map. I hope this way the map will really scream the distances are large.

I have marked first plan of the trade route in black. Red lines as alternative, shortcut passages that will lead to destination faster, but are dangerous.

The trade route is calles Diamond Route, because people from the south (names will come later) are mining DIAMONDS, that's right, they are that awesome. It became the most valuable good on the road and all the northen countries want a pice of shiny gem. So yeah.... no connection to our guild Diamond, not at all, really, i swear...

That is it for now.
    There is very high possibility i won't make it in time. I have other projects that i need to prioritize and also feel a little burn out at the moment.

trade route_001.jpg
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

All of the names and concepts presented in this work are purely coincidental, and in no way reflect real persons or events.

I like the coastlines already! This will be a good one, I can tell.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

These people are geniuses. Diamonds are absolutely the best.

Go Voolf, go!

This already looks like a massive endeavor , looking foward to it .

Even better than a Silk Road! Great start.

I'm starting to feel a little weird about doing a piece that isn't a 'proper' map... This looks amazing already! I'm looking forward to seeing it come together!

Guild Expert

Two of my favorite mappers working together... It doesn't get better then this and it looks great so far... I love the concept, and the name of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    All of the names and concepts presented in this work are purely coincidental, and in no way reflect real persons or events.
    That is exactly spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    These people are geniuses. Diamonds are absolutely the best.

Go Voolf, go!
    Heh, wonder who's gonna be the GRAND MERCHANT of the land

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    This already looks like a massive endeavor , looking foward to it .
    Thanks Naima. I will do my best with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Even better than a Silk Road! Great start.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    I'm starting to feel a little weird about doing a piece that isn't a 'proper' map... This looks amazing already! I'm looking forward to seeing it come together!
    As a matter of fact i was wondering about making it more of a isometric close up illustration too, but i abandoned the idea, because it was not looking like a big distance road.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Two of my favorite mappers working together... It doesn't get better then this and it looks great so far... I love the concept, and the name of course.
    Thank you kacey.
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

Not much done since last update, but i wanted to post something while i am still on in.

I placed all the mountains i wanted and now working on rest of the elevation lines. Rivers are more or less done.
    This one will take me forever. Just thinking about shading those mountains gives me a headache

trade route_002.jpg
    New Horizons

Support:

Here is the first mountain shadow testing

trade route_003.jpg
    New Horizons

Support:

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast