Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about cartography in a digital age

Question Questions about cartography in a digital age

Dear Cartographers

We are three New media students and are working on a project that involves developing a very exciting platform for maps, stories about maps, cartography and history in general. However, this is still in a very early stage and we would love to hear your opinions on platforms like this one

Does something similar already exist?
    What would be ideal features for you in terms of information, design and interactivity on the platform?

If you are interested in this, please do feel free to contact us and we'd be keen to hear your opinions!

Best,

The New Students

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Mapping what - the real world or anywhere?

Blog Entries

Your gonna need to explain a lot more detail before we can adequtely comment about something so vague. If you really want my opinion right now about the best platform for a map then I would say a good solid oak table just cant be beat though without a lot of carving they are not tremendously exciting.

What you are describing sounds to me like this. I cross my heart, I'm not trolling !

Blog Entries

no offense if the OP is a real person
    BUT
    the post sounds a lot like a badly coded chat bot
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by johnvanvliet View Post
    no offense if the OP is a real person
    BUT
    the post sounds a lot like a badly coded chat bot
    @ Johnvanvliet - Is a chat bot some kind of prank or something? I've never heard of one before, and I'm all curious now.

Blog Entries

A chat bot is a program that tries to look like a real user either asking questions or doing conversations. They are used to proliferate spam. In this case I think its not but they are getting better each year....

Thanks Redrobes

Default A better explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Your gonna need to explain a lot more detail before we can adequtely comment about something so vague. If you really want my opinion right now about the best platform for a map then I would say a good solid oak table just cant be beat though without a lot of carving they are not tremendously exciting.
    I guess I should've elaborated a bit more on the idea itself, but we wanted to see if anyone was even reading this in the first place.
    The platform would be a website, potentially with a forum, and if everything goes well it could be turned into an app as well.
    The content would - to start off with - mainly focus on maps made in the Dutch Golden Age, stories about everything that's visible on the maps as well as the art of making such maps. Of course, this is only a starting point, we're hoping it gets to a stage where we can add different categories (e.g fictional maps, ethnic/migration maps etc).

Does this clarify things?

Default 201

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Mapping what - the real world or anywhere?
    To start the platform, mainly real world. As it is now, the focus lies on maps from the Dutch Golden Age.
    But if all you guys say: definitely go with fictional maps because there is a bigger audience/more creativity/anything then of course we are open to that too. It's all in very early stages still.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast