Thread: The World of Aleria

Default The World of Aleria

AleriaWeltkarteSMALL.png

The World of Aleria is a fantasy-world of mine and this actually is the first complete map of it.
    I didn't add any names yet, because only three islands of it actually have planned out cities etc. I just recently decided to enlarge the whole world,
    which is why most of it is basically uninhabited wildland right now.

For a bigger version see: http://tekila-onrice.deviantart.com/...eria-664924054

For a more detailed map of the three already planned Islands see: http://http://tekila-onrice.devianta...ands-646156809

That's a very attractive composition, and some nice texture going on there, Tekila

Some very interesting land shapes, though I can't quite work out what kind of projection you are using.... or is this a flat world?

I'm guilty of being an absolute noob in terms of maps and that I didn't really know about the whole projection-thing until I joined here (meaning an hour ago roughly).
    So...yeah... I can't answer that because there is no answer. Don't judge, please. That is why I came here

lol Don't worry about things like that. honestly, quite a few people around here don't take those technical thingies like projection, tectonics, climates, airflow and MANY other tech/crunchy bits that CAN go into making maps too seriously. Having an understanding of these thing CAN make a map more believable to those that are of that mind set, and make them more "realistic", but it is by no means necessary. If you are here long enough, and post WIPs enough I am quite sure that you will pick up what understanding you need, to what ever depth you are willing to brave .

As for you map, I have to agree with Mouse about the textures and shapes, and I love the palette you are using. What program are you using?

thirdly, Don't be embarrassed or worried about being a noob, 'cause we ALL have been there, and some of use (me NOT included) have come quite far since joining the Guild. I think you are off to a great start, and I look forward to seeing you mature as a mapper.

And lastly, and most definitely not leastly, Welcome to The Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

No worries Tekila. I saw the oval frame and immediately thought 'Mollweide'... and that was it. My thoughts went racing off down that road without my permission...

Most maps I've seen here don't seem to have a projection, yet they are beautiful. I am myself 100% guilty of never once having considered what kind of projection any of my maps might be, but that's because I use software that does all the projection stuff for me - so you could just as easily say that I'm a cheat

EDIT: Nicely ninja'd by Korash (that means Korash got to answering you before I did )

I love the landshapes a lot, this is already looking like an interesting world. I took a quick tour of you dA (I'm Kellerica over there) gallery as well, nice OC's and creatures you have there! Always glad to see a fellow worldbuilder. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Have some well-deserved rep!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

@Korash I use Photoshop CS6 for all of my digital art, including maps.

@Mouse That is quite easily explained, as I took inspiration from those oval maps for this one. That's why I used that shape.

Thanks for everyone for the kind comments and feedback. Right now I'm planning on another map-project, that I want to do as a WIP on here.
    I'm really looking forward to it. <3

Nice color palette and pleasant land shapes! I'd say the mountain ranges works better in some places, and are a bit "abrupt" in others. The underwater topography is just excellent!
    Oh, and willkommen !