Thread: July/August 2024 mapping challenge: The strange case of Big Creek

Default July/August 2024 mapping challenge: The strange case of Big Creek

Hi all, I decided to jump in the challenge and I choose Lovecraft as the background for the map.
    Those are my results from the wheel:
    Screenshot_2024-07-10-20-05-19-36_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I will try to put 4 of the entries (I probably will exclude the skyport/ airship option), but who knows?

The set for the map will be Idaho in the 1890 decade and that's a little introduction:

"The young women came to us for help. His son desappeared recently during a visit to his aunt in the isolated town of Big Creek and she is desperate.
    We (me and Rose) are not the typical detectives, we investigate strange cases, that have to do with the occult, you know, all this sort of unesplicable things that if don't kill you, will certanly drive you crazy!
    And I probably will became crazy one day, and if I didn't yet is only because of Rose. She is my light in the darkness, she has an interior strenght that always save me from drawning in the depth of incoherent and terrible thoughs.
    So why this woman choosed us? She said that in Bar Creek something evil is corroding the town and the hearts of the people, something that stole from her his son and no normal police could face.
    My heart starts to beat faster while I pack my things. More missions I do, the more I feel unconfortable. As I said, only the force of will of Rose still convince me to do this job."

So, after a little more research, I started to draw the map.
    As usual for me, I have to create a story in order to decide the elements of the map.

IMG_20240722_234713.jpg
    This will be the "corporate house". It is the house of the two detective (Dave and Rose) in the fictional miner town (no name yet) along the Salmon river.
    A little bit more story...
    "I remember when Rose take me out of the mental hospital. She was looking for me because I was a friend of her father (a professor of Miskatonich University that theached me archeology). Bernard Beauvis is one of the best archeologist I ever met, he was an expert of the occult too and I helped him twice in some really horrorific investigations. Rose, his daughter, taked me with her a year or so ago, she treated me kindly and, with patience, she took me back to the reality. Now I followed her in Idaho because his father disappeared here without any trace. To make the money for the research, we opened an office as specials detectives and in the last three month we did varios jobs for the mines owners (workers are really supertiosious and most of the time the problems we faced were only mundane).
    Idaho is really wild and young and even colder than Arkam, but here I recovered all my mental health, maybe thanks to the mountains or maybe because of Rose"

Hey, nice lineart!

Thank you ink_alpinist.

I've made some progress:
    ### Latest WIP ###
    IMG_20240727_224721.jpg

And those are some of the characters of the story:
    IMG_20240727_224630.jpg

Really happy to see your style coming through strong on this one Silvio.

IR

Hey Ian, glad too see you here. Thanks for the positive comment.

So, after a long break, I started again to work on the map.

### Latest WIP ###
    IMG20240819100552_01.jpg

Hope could finish it on time