Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov 2016 Lite Challenge: Daineth Crystal Caves

Default Oct / Nov 2016 Lite Challenge: Daineth Crystal Caves

Travelers in this region may find themselves entranced by the soft blue glow of the Zelite crystals adorning many of the local temples and mansions. These expensive crystals don't just emanate light, they also have many mystical and healing properties ascribed to them.

While the location of the mine is jealously guarded, it is possible to visit - if you've got the coin, of course. The partially blindfolded trip through the mountains isn't an easy one, but each month several dozen pilgrims and a couple of rich eccentrics make it. Occasionally, an ill noble or tradesman may beg for a spot in the sick wards when all other options have been exhausted. It is said that no one ever died of illness or injury in these caves, but the price to pay is high: the miners may claim a swath of land, trading privileges, or a year's supply of food and drink. A noble seeking to heal his ill son may even have to lower himself the servitude in the mines for a year to get what he wants.

The crystals this cave produces are securely wrapped and tossed in an underground river. This river surfaces in the city of Caister, where the packages are taken out and stored in a heavily guarded cellar.

I actually started this map earlier this month, but didn't want to post WIPs yet as I wasn't sure whether I liked it enough to finish it. I definitely took a lot on my plate with this! The glowing crystal vein makes for a very tricky light source.

Any and all suggestions/feedback welcome! I think I'll remove the water seeping down from the surface, keeping only the underground river. The lowest cave will be the actual mine/shipping place, and the one above it may be used to grow a special kind of plant/fungus.

wip1.jpg
    wip2.jpg
    ### Latest WIP ###
    wip3.jpg

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Really nice start on this Poison. I love the painterly style of it along with the nice drop-down layers look you're going for.

Good luck with the crystal light too, as that's going to be a right pain, but so far so good and it makes for a very nice effect indeed.

As for the water, I think it balances the composition quite well so if you removes it, you may want something there just slightly to fill it place. Then again, you haven't finished the rest yet so it may just balance itself anyway!

The render of the caves is stunning! Looking froward to see the next steps .

Welcome to the challenge Poison! Great concept, beautiful look!

This will be one to watch! Looks great so far, looking forward to seeing more.

I love it, Poison! Great lore in the introduction and I wholeheartedly agree with Ilanthar on the beautiful caves. Wow! Great work!

I'm curious what software / medium you're using? Some parts of it look like digital work, but then I look at something else and think you must be using oil or acrylic on canvas!
    Would you please enlighten us with insight into your artistic process?

Thanks, all! I've blocked in more of the design, just so I can lay it out a little before I get bogged down by details again. Also refined the mountains/aboveground quite a bit:

### Latest WIP ###
    wip5.jpg

Mixerbach, it's fully digital! I'm using this brush set, which gives some nice, painting-like textures.

This is looking good! The only small problem I am seeing at the moment, is that the map is relatively hard to read in terms of value composition. (since the caves are dark on dark background and both have almost the same value) It might be a good idea to make them stand out a bit more by increasing contrast. (Either making the caves or the background a bit lighter)
    Other than that, nice painting skills. Looking Forward to this one!
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

It looks like I might not be able to finish this challenge. My knuckles are inflamed and drawing seems to make it worse. If it unexpectedly clears up I might be able to finish a (smaller) version, but probably not

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

That's a shame, Poison, I hope they clear up soon. It's looking really great already, so even if it's not done in time for the end, it would be great to see it finished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast