Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nov / Dec 2016 Lite Challenge: Map a Flying Island

Default Nov / Dec 2016 Lite Challenge: Map a Flying Island

Nov / Dec 2016 Lite Challenge: Map a Flying Island

Last month we went underground and mapped the Underworld, this month we are going to look at the skies and map a Floating Island.
    Map it any way you want to, top down perspective, side view and show the thickness of the island, Heck , you could even map what the island looks like from underneath, as if it were flying over you.. Whichever you prefer.

Use your imagination. Use your skills. Have some fun. Win a silver compass, you know you want one.

The Challenge will run until the 14th of December (more or less) and then there will be 3 days of voting. Someone is going to win a Shiny Silver Compass.

As usual, title your threads: "Nov / Dec 2016 Lite Challenge: << your title here >> "

Don't forget to put the hashtag: ### Latest WIP ### in front of all WIP pictures, and especially in front of your final map. And don't forget, there is a new WIP button that automatically posts this for you. Try it, You'll like it!

And remember, if you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

That's a pretty neat idea for the challenge, Bogie.

I've been wanting to try my hand at a more landscape painting style piece, so maybe this is a good opportunity to try that.

Thanks GLS, glad you like the idea. I figured that while it is fairly specific, it still has a lot of room for different types of maps. The people who like doing buildings, can cover the island with forts & buildings, the ones who like terrain can cover the island with trees rocks ponds and small mountains, and the ones who prefer regional maps can make a regional map that shows a floating island on it. Something for almost everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Map it any way you want to, top down perspective, side view and show the thickness of the island...
    Hmmmm... I wonder if I'll get extra credit if I do MORE than one way?

Sounds like fun, sir. I plan to participate this time around. I think I've almost got my rough done.

Quote Originally Posted by mixerbach View Post
    Hmmmm... I wonder if I'll get extra credit if I do MORE than one way?

Sounds like fun, sir. I plan to participate this time around. I think I've almost got my rough done.
    Sounds great to me, as for extra credit, well that's always up to the voters at the end, but I will give you over 60 points of extra credit REP when you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    ...I will give you over 60 points of extra credit REP when you are done.
    Wha- what?! SOLD!
    You've got yourself a participant, sir!

Great idea Bogie!

I'm wondering if it would be allowed to make a very large floating "island". Say, a flat world?
    Also, it is okay for the map not to be completely original, right? For example to remake a map of a book?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew VE View Post
    Great idea Bogie!

I'm wondering if it would be allowed to make a very large floating "island". Say, a flat world?
    Also, it is okay for the map not to be completely original, right? For example to remake a map of a book?
    I'd love to see another Discworld map

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew VE View Post
    Great idea Bogie!

As long as the map represents some kind of floating island or land, not just a continental map with a comment that says, "and it is floating in space". If that is what it is, then actually show it floating in space and it is OK.

You can redo a map from a book as long as you give credit for the original.

Islands in the sky. So not something like the floating island in Dr, Dolittle. I keep picking the wrong concepts...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast