Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January 2020 Challenge: Theano ( first map I ever made )

Wip January 2020 Challenge: Theano ( first map I ever made )

This is my very first map for my own world building project that I started when I was 13 so in 2010. I made it in Microsoft Paint... I clearly did not understand how rivers worked. I will be changing the rivers don't worry.
    place.png

I later remade this map when I was a little older still before I joined the Guild. It's definitely an improvement from before but there are still lots of problems with it. This version is from 2012 so I was 15 here.
    2.jpeg

I'm so excited for this challenge! I was already planning on remaking this map so having a challenge for it is just a bonus! I'm really looking forward to see how much progress I have made over the past decade and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's progress here! I don't have a WIP yet but I really wanted to jump right into this challenge, WIP will be coming soon!

"Third time's a charm" so the old saying goes! Really looking forward to seeing your new version!
    I just did the math and realized you were only 16 when you joined the guild, wow! Way to go!! (I was in my mid 50's when I joined)

Glad you jumped in, Domino
    I am eager to see what you will do with this iteration.
    Will you go full color? or more of an old map look?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    "Third time's a charm" so the old saying goes! Really looking forward to seeing your new version!
    I just did the math and realized you were only 16 when you joined the guild, wow! Way to go!! (I was in my mid 50's when I joined)
    Thanks Bogie! Yeah I was pretty young when I joined. It's been a pretty amazing journey and I'm super grateful to this community for being so amazing and supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Glad you jumped in, Domino
    I am eager to see what you will do with this iteration.
    Will you go full color? or more of an old map look?
    Thanks J! I'm really excited for this version as well, I'm not totally sure with the final style that I will go for. I will probably play around with a few different things until I settle on something I like.

I've done some of the line work for this map. Mountains, fixed rivers, and I changed up the shoreline a little to make it a more interesting shape. I'm not 100% on the frame yet but I'll come back to that. For now this is my progress.

### Latest WIP ###
    Theano.1.png

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Thanks Bogie! Yeah I was pretty young when I joined. It's been a pretty amazing journey and I'm super grateful to this community for being so amazing and supportive.
    When DundJinni Forums was going strong it was often called the friendliest site on the internet. I came to Cartographers Guild when the DJ forums started crashing and found the same kind of people here, which leads me to the conclusion that most cartographers are great people! Thanks for joining us on this ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    When DundJinni Forums was going strong it was often called the friendliest site on the internet. I came to Cartographers Guild when the DJ forums started crashing and found the same kind of people here, which leads me to the conclusion that most cartographers are great people! Thanks for joining us on this ride!
    I agree, cartographers are some of the coolest people I have ever interacted with!

Another update with some more line work done. I'm playing with color but nothing definite there.

### Latest WIP ###
    Theano3.png

Looks really good so far. Looking forward to seeing your finished map.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDA View Post
    Looks really good so far. Looking forward to seeing your finished map.
    Thank you! I'm having a lot of fun working on this!

I've started working on color! I have some base colors and textures down. I also decided to do a nod to my second version of this map with the fire emblem so I thought that I would create a flame burning the title banner. I'm pretty happy with how it looks already but if anyone has any suggestions or tips for that please don't hesitate to share them!

### Latest WIP ###
    Theano4.png

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast