Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Map of Allanor

Default February 2021 Challenge: Map of Allanor

When reading about this month’s challenge there was one ‘old’ map that immediately popped to my mind to redo: last month’s challenge map.

There where so many things I wasn’t happy about I allmost didn’t post it at all but I thought I’d might aswell learn something from it and pushed on.

Edit:
    Edited this post to show the Map from last challenge:

Helenox Island Final.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Marc; 02-27-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Cool to see the 'ageing' process on the paper! I hope you can make something this month that you're happier with.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Cool to see the 'ageing' process on the paper! I hope you can make something this month that you're happier with.
    Will do my best Chickpea, atleast I’ve got a little more time for this one

I had a story in mind for this map last challenge but could not figure out how to do it in so little time.
    I started working on a few illustrative sketches to tell this story/history of the area.
    They will be a part of the borderwork so I’ll probably transfer them by tracing because I don’t want to ruin the paper with sketching and erasing.

### Latest WIP ###

76565C16-9356-49BF-B858-CFD4F07CF46D.jpeg

Oh, I thinks those will be a great addition. Its always nice to get a sense of story along with the map itself. Know you had to rush through the original version which didn't turn out bad at all, but with more time, hopefully, you'll be able to take it to the next level this time.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Oh lord I absolutely love those, this is sure to be great.

IR

As usual things didn't exactly go as planned hahaha.
    Anyway, I dragged all I had into GIMP and I'll be on my merry way again:

### Latest WIP ###

Allanor WIP 1.jpg

I've set a few goals for myself this challenge:

- Want to work on my linework. It was to heavy and straight and drawing them cramped me up while working on maps. Adding more variety in thickness by using a different brush dynamic this time.
    - Want my colours to be less saturated. More like watercolors.
    - Work on my parchment texturing and coloring.

Here's the latest WIP. I have left out the border and illustrations for now:

### Latest WIP ###

Allanor WIP 2.jpg

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Well, I'm liking the lineart of the mountains. Now that you are talking about Brush Dynamics, which program do you use for your maps? And how did you get your brush dynamics to stay smooth? I struggle with getting mine to play along.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Well, I'm liking the lineart of the mountains. Now that you are talking about Brush Dynamics, which program do you use for your maps? And how did you get your brush dynamics to stay smooth? I struggle with getting mine to play along.
    Thank you Xcali (Omri) I like the 'new' mountains aswell

I am using GIMP in combination with a teeny tiny Wacom Intuos S.

I used to have my brush dynamics set on pressure opacity as I figured it would be closest to how a normal pencil would behave when applying more or less presure.
    But to make all lines appear the same I was pushing the stylus through my desk, I can tell you that it did NOT make digital any fun spending a few hours all cramped up hihihi.

I am now alternating between a 'dynamics off' (lineweight is constant) and 'pressure size' (linewidth) setting and a whole new world has presented itself to me
    No idea if you're using GIMP aswell but if you want to know more about my current pencil settings let me know (beware that I am a master and am currently discovering alot more about settings myself while experimenting)

Here's another WIP.
    Been working on the coastline/ocean and I rather like this new style with the linework, softer colors and textures.

### Latest WIP ###

Allanor WIP 3.jpg

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Thank you Xcali (Omri) I like the 'new' mountains aswell

I am using GIMP in combination with a teeny tiny Wacom Intuos S.

I used to have my brush dynamics set on pressure opacity as I figured it would be closest to how a normal pencil would behave when applying more or less presure.
    But to make all lines appear the same I was pushing the stylus through my desk, I can tell you that it did NOT make digital any fun spending a few hours all cramped up hihihi.

I am now alternating between a 'dynamics off' (lineweight is constant) and 'pressure size' (linewidth) setting and a whole new world has presented itself to me
    No idea if you're using GIMP aswell but if you want to know more about my current pencil settings let me know (beware that I am a master and am currently discovering alot more about settings myself while experimenting)
    Ah! I didn't even realize there was a brush dynamic like that! And yeah, I'm on the GIMP with a small intuos. Definitely a different feel, I just tried it. So thanks a lot for the tip.

When you talk about pencil settings are you talking about the Wacom or the 'pencil' in gimp? I am interested about your settings, definitely.

P.S. Just looked at your coastal lineart. Suuuuuper smooth. Me likes! Keep up the good work
    Last edited by XCali; 02-13-2021 at 05:58 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast