Thread: Hello!!!!

Post Hello!!!!

Hello Everyone!!!

My name is Moki, and I am currently a college student. I have always had a fascination with map-making and story-writing. Recently, after discovering a few videos by FT Cartography and being impressed by his maps and the way he told the story of his world, I decided to start doing it myself. I have always wanted to create my own map and world but never had the motivation or the knowledge that I am capable of doing it. As well as being a perfectionist, it is very difficult for me to settle on something, but I have decided I won't let perfect be the enemy of good and just start doing it. I have so far created a single completed map of a small region in my world that I might post somewhere and currently working on my next in my world, making these maps has been my creative outlet for a while and I am super excited to explore all the different ways I can my ideas put into fruition, and I am excited to learn from all of you and get better!!!!

Hi and welcome, I am very new to drawing and map making myself, looking forward to seeing your progress

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hi Moki!

Welcome to the community!

My advise would be, there are some maps that one can chase perfection on, but there needs to be whole slew of ones that are trial and error along the way. If I had stayed on one map I would never have built my world as I far as I have.
    For instance, the world map can just start out as rough line art just to get the ball rolling. Leave it and pick somewhere on that roughly drawn continent to further expand, maybe this one would have a second line art pass, or some color. And then when you feel there is potential on an area you can then decide to do a deep dive map that you meticulously detail over months bit by bit.

But in the end, having rough drafts help sharpen other types of mapmaking skills. For instance we just had make a map in 5 hours challenge. Quite tricky. But it teaches AMAZING lessons, since you learn to prioritize different things when you have limited time. Id highly suggest you give the 5 hour map challenge a shot. You will learn a lot.

I'm excited to see your journey! And be sure to post your maps!
    Cheers,
    Omri

P.S. Posting becomes easier after 5.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19