Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The World of Aurelia

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default The World of Aurelia

Hey peeps! So I recently reeled in a commission from a video game developer. The first map I'll be making for this commission is a world map. Client had a series of continents in mind, but left it to me to draw their shapes. I played around with their positions a bit and we finally settled on an outline that was both pleasantly plausible, and easy on the client's eyes.

Aurelia_world_0i1.jpg

So the top portion of the map is taken up by a sort of double continent (a bit like Eurasia), separated only by a huge desert region. The eastern lobe is called Abanthus (A), and the massive western bulge is called Eoduan (E).

West of that lies the continent of Odisier (O), south of which lies Marossi (M).

Almost touching both Eoduan and Abanthus is the continent of Lamoura (L), right smack on the equator, and finally there's the mysterious continent of Zeracia (Z), which is very hard to find due to the constant storms on its coasts.

I proposed a number of projections, and client was a big fan of the double hemisphere option. I decided not to go for the Stereographic projection because of the weird distortions near the poles, but chose the Apian instead. This gave me this:

Aurelia_world_0i2.jpg

And now I've begun drawing in the terrain layer by layer, beginning with the continent of Abanthus:

Aurelia_world_2.jpg

The idea is to pull the map (once it's finished, which is gonna take a few weeks probably) through Wilbur and then create a shaded terrain out of it. And then it's off to labelling!

But for now: baby steps
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I like the coasts so far, and yes, Zarecia sounds mysterious! Lovely work as always, Caenwyr!

That defintely looks good as a double hemisphere piece.
    The land shapes flow around well, which is not always an easy thing.

I'm gonna follow this. I did the same thing for a map and encountered some odd issues with wilbur.
    Some stair stepping and other artifacts. But, it was my first time using wilbur, so I assumed I just didn't know the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I'm gonna follow this. I did the same thing for a map and encountered some odd issues with wilbur.
    Some stair stepping and other artifacts. But, it was my first time using wilbur, so I assumed I just didn't know the best way.
    Oh yes, Wilbur can be a difficult beast to tame. But man, if all goes well the results are super awesome. I'm thinking of erasing the most obvious steps myself by basically smudging them out in the basefile (I might even go to the trouble to do that for every layer, everywhere, although I'm probably a madman for even considering that!).

I managed to get some more work done on the map, still on that first double continent:

Aurelia_world_4b.jpg
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

And here's the main continental mass all done (but not eroded yet of course):

Aurelia_world_5c.jpg

Or to give you a better idea of where the water bodies and the rivers will go:

Aurelia_world_5.jpg
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I love the shape of the continents ! They really suit the projection, especially the one(s) in the western hemisphere ! Looking forward to watching this progress

Thanks Rubikia!

This morning I managed to get some more work done on the map. I finalised the contour lines, threw em into the Wilbur mill, and out came this:

Aurelia_world_6b.jpg

I then imported it back into Photoshop, and started toying about with a string of gradients. And this is what I ended up with:

Aurelia_world_6g.jpg
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Looking really awesome so far, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Looking really awesome so far, can't wait to see how it turns out.
    Thanks QED!!

You know I'm a pleaser, so here's my next update right away: the continent of Lamoura!

Aurelia_world_8c.jpg

Still gotta adapt the coastlines and draw in the rivers of course
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 02-18-2019 at 04:38 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Okay. No (major) update on the land side of things... but I did do the sea floor!

Aurelia_world_9.jpg
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast