Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castitia

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Map Castitia

This one was actually something quite new for me as it's based completely on an older piece by our very own Chashio. The same GM who commissioned the original map approached me with a commission for a regional map under the condition that I remain close to the original color palette and style. Muted colors... my eternal enemy!

The labels are really sparse; wasn't my choice as I would have preferred a few more names for locales, but it is what it is.

ChrisLivingston Commission (CASTITIA).jpg

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I like it quite a bit. The colors are definitely nice and you've drawn everything so well. I love all of your icons and the way you do your mountains and forests. Nice job!

Despite the muted colors, I like it quite a bit I'm with you on the labels, but what can you do... The map and its elements have a very harmonic look to them, the hills and forests work well together. I also enjoy the typography on the title/logo a lot, it looks great!

Great work!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Wow, Wired, i love this a lot. A style very pleasing to my eyes. I even like the forests in this context And those are muted colors for you...!?!?? ^^

If i have one "complaint" ... i think the biggest river you have on that map is a bit too ... blue... not sure how else to put it. It just is a bit strong and "shiny" in contrast to the rest of the map (and especially other blues in the map).

All in all a very beautiful map! If i can, i'll rep you.

Also, thanks for linking to the map from Chashio, i love context if there is one. And a big second thank you for providing a good resolution of the map. I love to look at the details and i can do that here. Thumbs up on all fronts.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Its very pleasant on the eye

Very attractive map. The colouring is beautiful and I love the title shield. It's very striking. Really nice work all round.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

This is great! A bit bright for my taste, but the color composition itself is very harmonic.

Very nice map, Wired. I like a lot the color palette but I must say that the rivers are also bit too saturated in my eye.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    I like it quite a bit. The colors are definitely nice and you've drawn everything so well. I love all of your icons and the way you do your mountains and forests. Nice job!
    Thank you, glad you like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    Despite the muted colors, I like it quite a bit I'm with you on the labels, but what can you do... The map and its elements have a very harmonic look to them, the hills and forests work well together. I also enjoy the typography on the title/logo a lot, it looks great!

Great work!
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Wow, Wired, i love this a lot. A style very pleasing to my eyes. I even like the forests in this context And those are muted colors for you...!?!?? ^^

If i have one "complaint" ... i think the biggest river you have on that map is a bit too ... blue... not sure how else to put it. It just is a bit strong and "shiny" in contrast to the rest of the map (and especially other blues in the map).

All in all a very beautiful map! If i can, i'll rep you.

Also, thanks for linking to the map from Chashio, i love context if there is one. And a big second thank you for providing a good resolution of the map. I love to look at the details and i can do that here. Thumbs up on all fronts.
    Yeah, I think the issue of the rivers has become more emphasized the more the map has progressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Its very pleasant on the eye
    Glad you like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Very attractive map. The colouring is beautiful and I love the title shield. It's very striking. Really nice work all round.
    Thank you, ChickPea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rongar View Post
    This is great! A bit bright for my taste, but the color composition itself is very harmonic.
    Thank you. Not much I could have done about the brightness factor without straying from the map and color style this was based on, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice map, Wired. I like a lot the color palette but I must say that the rivers are also bit too saturated in my eye.
    Thank you. Yes, the rivers probably could have less saturation.

Some good stuff here.

Things I like:
    • Sea color: not something I would normally think of, but honestly, this is a great job! I love this color combination and will consider this if I ever get some time to map again!
    • hills
    • Mountain
    • great color gradation as the map draws near to the dryer lands.
    • the rivers or more specifically the land surrounding them. It's very rare to see a hand drawn map with indication of more lush terrain close to rivers and this was an unexpected surprise. I hope to see more of this in the future from others( and one I need to start thinking of because I never really came to my mind)
    • city/town icons(but see below)
    • crest and compass
    • overall color scheme
    • the hills and forests really intersect very well and the few example hills surrounding by forest canopy works very well!
    • Border is quite cool

Things I would liked to have seen different:
    • I don't know the word, but the forest "noise". ie, the squiggle lines used to give the forest it's definition. It's fine at small scale, but zoomed in the repeated nature gets a bit distracting. For the record, I suck at this also and have not figured out a good style to represent 3rd person forest groups well either. I know this is difficult because individual trees take for ever AND look look too busy in large numbers, while getting the right look for "clump forests" is super hard to do well.
    • dark blue river, someone else mentioned this also
    • there are some inconsistencies(to my eye anyway!). The biggest example is comparing the two cities on Othlo Isles. The top one is flat while the bottom one is much more 3rd person/3 dimensional.
    • There so very noticeable banding in the forest coloration, especially when zoomed out

All in all, great job... it made me go check some of your other maps and definately found a few I liked.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast