Thread: Hello from porter

Post Hello from porter

My name is porter and I have joined the Cartographers' Guild to learn about making maps that other people might find useful and fun to use.
    There are many walking tracks around my town but not many people seems to use them; or, rather only use a few of them so I want to publicise the less-travelled tracks through the use of maps. I made a few maps a long time ago but got distracted with other things. Looking back those maps were not very good (and pretty boring). So I hope to do better this time around. As a mature age person I am starting to decide on what new hobbies I will spend time on in future. Map making is one of these - probably a recycled hobby rather than a new one but I just like maps . Another proposed hobby is making "ships in bottles"; I have never done that before so it might be interesting...I have a few empty whisky bottles around the place and they seem to be the right shape . I reckon about 5 hobbies is enough - but haven't decided on the other 3 just yet.

My background is info tech. I do a lot of reading in all kinds of topics. I am also a DIY sort of person. I live in a small, but rapidly growing, town just outside Melbourne, Australia.

Happy to be a member of the Cartographers' Guild.

Welcome to the Guild porter.
    It sounds like the maps you would make would be quite useful for those in your area.
    When you start in, if you need any help or advice just ask.
    We're a pretty friendly and helpful group.
    Cheers,
    John

Thanks John.

Banned User

Hello Porter! Welcome to the Guild!

To get you started, there is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!