Thread: Around the world in eighty days

Map Around the world in eighty days

Le tour du monde en 80 jours - Jules Verne

Le tour du monde en 80 jours.jpg

Hi, I'm not very happy with this map/illustration but I don't really know why. I guess a part is because the scale is too small, the little boats and trains in the map are in a 15mm circle, wich is maybe too small to apreciate them properly.

I drop this map here to ask for feedback, so please feel free to criticize it. I'll be very happy to read your though.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I really like the little boats and trains (I mean, they are boats and trains, how could one not like them ). I like the program beneath the map as well. The only thing I might have done differently is choose a different map projection. This one enlarges Antarctica a great deal, which really has no real purpose on this map (beyond being a landmark). A projection that would fit the northern hemisphere or the equator a bit more might make the map feel a bit less cramped. However, this really is nitpicky. The map is wonderful and, as I said at the start, who can dislike trains and boats drawn that well!

Perfect advice from Arimel : the projection could be your solution here.
    But anyway, I don't see any reason to be really unhappy here : it's a good concept, well done, clean and creative

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I really like the little boats and trains (I mean, they are boats and trains, how could one not like them ). I like the program beneath the map as well. The only thing I might have done differently is choose a different map projection. This one enlarges Antarctica a great deal, which really has no real purpose on this map (beyond being a landmark). A projection that would fit the northern hemisphere or the equator a bit more might make the map feel a bit less cramped. However, this really is nitpicky. The map is wonderful and, as I said at the start, who can dislike trains and boats drawn that well!
    Yes! This is a good point that I haven't think about earlier. You're totally right, we don't need all south hemisphere in there. Thank you for the feedback and kinds words.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Perfect advice from Arimel : the projection could be your solution here.
    But anyway, I don't see any reason to be really unhappy here : it's a good concept, well done, clean and creative
    Thank you very much, It's just because I expected something really harmonious and it look a bit "wobbly" (not sur about the word) to me.

I think this is a great little illustration. I especially applaud your tiny illustrations! They are clear and detailed even at 15 mm.

Besides the projection suggestion, you might think about adding some variation in line weights to the borders, inset circles, or the map outlines. You could also look for ways to differentiate the ocean and land, though that's not 100% necessary here. I think the goal should be to draw attention where you want it, and really make those insets appear to pop out from the map background. For example, you might make all the box borders (around the map and the itineraries) heavy weight or even with a design in them, the circles medium weight, and the map outlines lightest weight. I suggest a few small-scale experiments to figure out what works best.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    I think this is a great little illustration. I especially applaud your tiny illustrations! They are clear and detailed even at 15 mm.

Besides the projection suggestion, you might think about adding some variation in line weights to the borders, inset circles, or the map outlines. You could also look for ways to differentiate the ocean and land, though that's not 100% necessary here. I think the goal should be to draw attention where you want it, and really make those insets appear to pop out from the map background. For example, you might make all the box borders (around the map and the itineraries) heavy weight or even with a design in them, the circles medium weight, and the map outlines lightest weight. I suggest a few small-scale experiments to figure out what works best.
    Well...Very interesting suggestion. Thank you! You're right, this could bring contrast and variation in it. I choose very simple line for everything to keep it sober, but at the end it is kind of bland.

I'll take this in consideration and try to redraw the borders and outlines.

Nice map idea and great illustrations.
    I do not mind the projection. I think it looks just fine
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Thank you Voolf!

Very nice work!