Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with how to indicate cities on a continent map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Ok so I could not get through those 17 pages on labeling... It was just to dry. But I skimmed through it.

This is what I got for now so feel free to make suggestions, comment or what ever
    New Continents for CG.png

Hi Loony! (feels strange saying that). If that's where you're going to stop with the labelling then it's fine. If you're going to start labelling smaller areas within the regions, then you'll probably find that your regional labels will get swallowed up and won't be noticable as you've currently got them. So to paraphrase Imhoff (and based on other maps I've seen):

Regions: Bigger different Serif font to the cities and towns and extend the spacing between each character so the region is covered. If know how to put your text on a curve that's useful but only do it if it's necessary.
    Small Regions: Sans Serif caps or initial caps.
    Cities: Serif all caps.
    Towns: Init Caps and then lower case.

Good fonts to consider are the IM Fell series of fonts for towns (everyone is using it these days) and something like Garamond for cities - but it depends on what sort of time period you want your piece to suggest.

I would suggest that you read the link in my sig, but ... you've already been there!

Hope this helps

Ravs

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thank you for you imput ravells. It helps a lot

For the big continental map this is where I am going to stop so I am relieved that you believe it is ok. What I am going to do is make regional maps for more detail. I can attach the one I have done do far.
    The Easterlands version 7.png

Cool with the mini breakdown on labeling. Don't know how to put text on a curve but I could probably learn. Didn't know anything about how to use GIMP before I started and now I know enough to do the map I attached.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12