Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commission - Tell Rawja

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Whew!! Alright, this must be my nicest update yet! Linework is tedious, unimpressive and very time consuming (but necessary!), colouring helps bring the first details out, but shading, by far the easiest part, turns a nice little map with lines and colours into something that jumps out of the screen and grabs ya!!

Well, at least that's the look I was going for with this one

I worked well into the night for this update, but I think it's worth it. All that's left now is to create a handful of sketches for the insets, colour and shade those and *finally* call this map finished

Tell_Rawja_20.jpg

What do you think?
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Looks awesome!! That shading really adds a whole other level of depth.

I think you did that very quickly.. A lot faster that I could have done!! That's a whole lot of tiny buildings to draw and shade.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Hi guys!

It took me a while, but I finally managed to finalise my Tell Rawja map. The only thing still missing were the sketches at the bottom, but those proved to be quite a bit more challenging than expected! Turns out I'm a lousy sketcher - that or I'm way too picky: things in the perspective version shouldn't be in other locations than they are on the map!! In the end I resorted to going full SketchUp on them, and that proved to be the right decision.

So this is it!

Tell_Rawja_25.jpg
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 06-16-2016 at 11:23 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

EPIC! I love those illustrations!

I wouldn't have minded seeing some details outside the city but that might not be what the client wanted. I admire your persistence through all those little houses.

Why are there just two farm fields near the tops, and there are none no where else? Is that the only place that had farm fields? I just find it a bit strange that there are two half in the screen there and no where else, but oh well.
    Last edited by Josiah VE; 06-16-2016 at 10:43 PM.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Great map! I'm usually not fond of bevels on roofs, but it kinda works well here, at this scale. The illustrations adds a lot and are indeed pretty fantastic!

The stylistic choices in this are very good. I very much appreciate the fact that it does look hand-drawn for the most part.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12