Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Map of the Kingdoms and Principalities in Aran & Ilan

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Now I see the dragon Great work so far. One comment though : it seems there's two kind of borders on the map and they aren't that much distinct from one to the other. Maybe different colors or more difference in the dots would help.
    Last edited by - Max -; 01-12-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Okay! I think - I think this is it. I hereby present my ultimate WIP version, and if I get no more remarks, it's off to the Finished section with this one!

So I'm counting on you guys. Be strict, be harsh, be brutally honest. If there's anything that still annoys you, now's the time to speak up... <spooky voice> ...or forever hold your peace... </spooky voice>

AWI_handdrawn_overhaul20.jpg
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Besides the text saying "A Brief Hiftory" nothing much

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RigoIII View Post
    Besides the text saying "A Brief Hiftory" nothing much
    it's a long s, for Pete's sake
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Hm, I might be wrong, but to me it seems the lighting is a little too bright. If you're working with a lightsource, that is. Hope you know what I mean, my brain's a little muddled right now, so the right words elude me.

You mean the contrast between the light and shadow parts is too harsh? I was starting to think the same thing... I think I'll have to take a look at the bump file...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I really like how this has turned out. I love the textured feel of the map and think it looks great. What font did you use for the body text on the left hand side? I rather like it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I really like how this has turned out. I love the textured feel of the map and think it looks great. What font did you use for the body text on the left hand side? I rather like it.
    Thanks ChickPea, that's good to hear! The font is called Chapbook, and is based on typefaces from the mid-seventeenth century, with all its gritty imperfections. It even has a decent amount of ligatures if that's your thing (I looooove ligatures. Yes, I'm a freak). The website also boasts a number of other authentic (i.e. by definition imperfect) fonts - be sure to check it out!

I think I'm gonna tweak the terrain lighting a little more, and then I guess the map's finished. Llannagh was right, actually: in some places the terrain is just TOO strong. I love the look of the western peninsula (Sarand), but I'm not too fond of what the bump lighting has done to the northeastern mountain cluster, to name just one excessively contrasted region... It's not looking BAD, I just know I can do better. Or rather, I like to believe I can. I guess we'll know soon enough
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Thanks, Caenwyr.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I noticed some islands seem to be coloured much brighter than most of the lands, the island south of Barann and the islands west of Sarand. I don't know if that's intentional of not but it looked kind of odd to me. I also noticed that in the names on the map you didn't use that long s. I don't know much about that letter and I was wondering why you chose not to use it in the names.

Anyways, you did an amazing job on this map!

-Dan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast